Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic clutch - got a donor truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jun 15, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok I am getting a 1985 chevy fullsize jimmy with a SMC465/NP203 fully running... 305 motor, etc....
    anyhow... I have been able to get this for about 4 months now but have been not on my top to bother...

well my tranny is slipping.. dont know if it is clutch or what... also something doesnt seem right with the linkage.. on a bad angle and stuff...

so I just called my bud and asked him to look at the linkage for me and he said.... " It will be different..... it has a HYDRAULIC CLUTCH!!!!!!"

so I told him I will take it next week. Just need time to cleanout my garage to make room for it during the teardown...

so will a 1985 setup fit right into my 78? also my trans dropps out of second... L, 1, 2 if I dont hold it in there.. so needs a rebuild anyway....

so all this for a measly... Buck.... YUP

$100!!!!!!

how do we say that????

won hundred dollars!!!!!! :cool1:

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

21 people read and no replies huh???

anyone? no one knows?
    Thanks
    Jeff

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Dont see why it would be a problem. Doing the same thing with my 80. mike

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You can swap everything over..The hardest part will be to locate the MC on the firewall,if it isnt in the right spot it will leak very quickly..
    If you have access to the donor truck then the best way is to use a piece of cardboard and trim it to fit over/beside the wiring BIG plug next to the MC then trace the holes and transfer it to the 78 using the same wiring plug (template should fit right over) :D :D

Like this..

[​IMG]

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I put a 1989 1 ton's hydraulic clutch setup in my 69 K20. Your swap ought to be easier. My donor truck was the old body style and it's master cylinder was mounted at a bit of an angle. I had to use a shim to get it mounted on my 69's firewall in a position and location that allowed full movement without binding. The master is not angled as much as on the 89 so hopefully tht doesn't cause me problems down the road. I went ahead and used my existing clutch pedal assembly. You might get lucky and can swap pedal assemblies, but that wasn't an option as the 69's pedal assembly was very different from the 89's pedal assembly.

I guess in a long sort of way, I am saying you will be able to make this work, you just might have to do a little fabbing to get everything lined up correctly.

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

The only thing you will have to fab will be the template to make 100% sure the MC is in the right place since everything else mounts off of the MC..i.e the 2 stut rods which tie into the pedal assembly (IIRC) they mount to each side of the clutch pedal bolt and those 2 braces is what helps keep the MC from ripping out of the firewall..but is reall is an easy swap..