Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jan 6, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I want to convert to hydraulic clutch soon and so I want to try to start gathering parts now. What years and models came with a hyrdraulic clutch? A complete parts list would be helpful. Do I have to change anything major to it? Do I need a different clutch? I think I need a different flywheel dont I? Is there anyway to make my mechanical linkage not bind as much when my truck is flexed offroad?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

For Gm I think it was 86 when the hydro came out.
    Some like to swap in the Hydro bell housing w/slave and mount a master on your firewall and swap in hydro clutch pedals. No you don't need a different clutch/flywheel but if you are swaping the bell housing you may want to put a freash clutch in there if it is old..

I converted my 72 using the stock bell and stock pedals..took some re-working but I got it to work. Check the First gen fourm and you will see a new thread with some older links in it to get you to the pics and discusion about it..for a first gen anyway...same idea
    Good Luck
    Burt

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So there is a way to do it without changing the bellhousing? That seems to be the only part I dont like about it. If I didnt change the bellhousing I would just need a master and slave cyllinder and hose wouldnt I? I need to see some pics, ill look at the ones for the first gen but I would like to see some like my truck. Id like to see a stock hydro setup and a converted one if anyone has any pics.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you were really determined.... you could fab a bracket to hold the slave cylinder. Catch two bellhousing bolts, and and another 'leg' to bolt to the side/back of the transmission. (My buddy did this when he a put a 5.0L HO & T5 in his '58 F100.;) )

FWIW, 85-91 old-body-style trucks have the hydraulic-clutch bellhousing.

6. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So whats the easiest way to change the bellhousing? Ive been thinking about putting a new clutch in my truck this summer and I thought that might be when I could convert it. Do you have to drop the transmission to change the bellhousing or could it be done with the motor out? And im still confused as to whether I need to get a different flywheel or not?

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Same flywheel, and you can swap bellhousings with the engine out. (That's how I do clutch job :rolleyes: )

8. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

hydraulic and mechanical use a different clutch fork and pressure plate i know this first hand :) mechaicnal fork has a curve in it and has a taller pressure plate. hydraulic is a straight fork and a shorter pressure plate

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did the swap .. bought a 1986 gmc jimmy for $100.... changed the clutch pedals out.... the hydro pedals also have 2 rods on them with bolts on the end... they hold the master on.... then the resivour is held on from 2 bolts from wiper motor (if I remember correctly). Make sure you tighten the master bolts up all the way.. I didnt realize it was turning.. and wouldnt engauge the clutch all the way.. everyone said... BLEED IT.. but that wasnt my problem.... also my hydro clutch bellhousing didnt fit my mechanical tranny..dunno why but had to dremel out the hole a bit more....