Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic clutch

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by harry, Sep 17, 2001.

1. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I know this subject has come up before but I did not take note of the information.

I need to covert my 69k5 over to a hydraulic clutch system because the transfer case doubler I am installing requires me to mount the engine in the forward position. I want to use my stock cast iron bell housing and clutch fork. Can you guys help me out with what parts I need and where they come from.

thaks,
    harry 69k5

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

here are some notes that I have. i too plan on this, one day.

http://www.afcoracing.com

AFCO part numbers:
    Master Cylinder #CN701-3/4 $49.95
    Slave Cylinder #CN305-G $62.65
    You can buy an adjustable pushrod or make your own.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Why are you moveing the motor forward to do the dubbler? I run one with 6 inches of lift and a 4500 the rear drive shaft ahs to have a cvc any way and its 24 inches long. From the front of the belhuseing to the rear of the 205 yoke center is 54 inches. Now you do need the hydraulic cltch any way but you dont need to move the motor forward and by the way its not just a mater of moving the mount forward the rail taper and the mount has to be redriled. Plus the holes done move in a full bolt with.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Harry, why not mount the block side pivot ball to the rear boss like the 2WD trucks do? That should work with the engine crossmember in the forward position. You might need to get a lower pushrod for a 2WD truck...

5. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Blazer72,
    I understand that I do not have to move the engine, I would just like to minimize the loss of rear drive shaft length (SM465 and adapter to NP203,NP203 and adapter to NP205 adds up to 6" of extra drivetrain). I think I am pushing closer to 8" of rear lift (4" springs and shackle flip) and would like to keep my angles down. I also understand I will need to grind my engine cross member and redrill some holes along with some other minor fabrication.

Steve,
    I never thought of that. I will check that out when I get home today. Thanks a lot.

Arq, thank's for the part numbers.

harry
    69k5

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I under stand Harry it just that its not that big of a loss. The 4500/203 /205 useing a gen 1 kit come out longer than the 456/203/205 by 2 inches. And with the gen 2 kit you will be much shorter than mine. It the front drive shaft that a trick to get though the mounts and not make the low point of the truck. Eather way the hydraulic clutch is the way to go. With the NV4500 I use the stock hydraulic bearing so it even more fun. But it work no mater how twisted up the truck gets. the stock linkage went away when twisted up not a good thing. by the way it added not 6 but 14 inch to the drivetrain with the gen 1 kit

7. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Maybe I won't worry about moving it then. Where did you mount the clutch master cylinder and how did you attach it to the clutch peddle linkage?

Also, Was the NV4500 ever orignally mated to the 203. If not, where did you get the adapter?

thanks for the information.

harry
    69k5

8. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I used a mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing and a wilwood clutch master cylinder. I just had to fab a bracket for the new clutch pedal/master cylinder assembly and cut a small hole in the firewall. The new pedal assembly *just* fit next to the fusebox. (and it's a new box, a larger one from painless) If you're interested i can take the pictures i have to campus and scan them tomorrow. With this setup, I won't ever have to worry about twisting up linkage or anything.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

9. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I would love to see pictures... If you have part numbers I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your help.

harry
    69k5

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweet! Lets see it SilverJim [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>