Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic Ground Jack...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys I have been trying to get some stuff on my list that I put together of things that I shouldn't leave home without when I head on a trip or anywhere for that matter. One of the major things that I have crossed off is a spare that I can carry with me but it's worthless because I have no way of getting the truck off the ground as the stock jack is obviously worthless. I spoke with camsk5 and he suggested for the amount of lift I have on my truck to go with a hydraulic ground jack instead of a conventional hi-lift. Is this something worth while? Small enough that I can put it in the bed but at the same time it has a base unlike some bottle jacks and at full extension is close to 4' tall. Plus 8 tons is more than enough, shoot I could use it to help off road sometimes too. Anyways just wanted some suggestions on the topic.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36469

-Avery

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I carry a 20 ton bottle jack, along with a piece of 2' X 2', 3/4" thick plywood. Even in mud, or sand, I can still get a wheel in the air. The jack is about 9" tall, fully closed. The tip scrrews out another 7 or 8", so I am pretty much good. The heavier rating the jack, the easier it is to pump up.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have that exact same bottle jack at home and it has really come in handy and I am very happy I bought it.

You will have to keep it protected from the elements. I left the ram extended a foot or so and it got rained on. The actual ram arm got surface rust on it in just a few days. It just dosen't seem that rugged so I would make sure it was secured upright and did not roll around at all.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I thought about getting 2 of those and making a redneck k5 lift with it. :thumb: Make a steel frame to position them around frame width (it would be adjustable) and I could lift my rig by the frame much more quickly than doing one side at a time and using stands etc. Thats a pita.

j

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok so it sounds like I should invest in this instead of a hi-lift. Now here's a question, should I go with that one and lift it by the frame (which could be a little wobbly becaue my suspension doesn't flex, it would just push the whole truck up on three tires) or should I get a crazy little bottle jack that slides under the axle and lift either the entire back end up or the entire front end up at the same time?

Or maybe get both?

-Avery

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I carry one of those smaller 2t floor jacks under My Sub. Ditched it's wheels and made a full length skidplate that bolts on where the wheels used to be. Then made a mount for it that is directly under the front passenger's butt. Bolts to the frame rail. Deep mud is very, very unlikely to be an issue so getting to it there shouldn't be a problem.
    The skidplate makes it nice & stable and allows it to slide around under the Sub with ease.