Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic Line leaking from threads...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70chevybob, Jan 15, 2006.

1. 70chevybob

70chevybob Registered Member

I just bought a hydro assist kit from Rock Logic 8" ram with lines and fittings. I have tapped the steering box myself and connected the lines from the box to the ram. THe ram is mounted on my ORD x-over hi-steer and all is well. But right out of the box the fittings that connect to the ram are leaking from out of the threads. I have put the correct thread tape on the fittings and the stupid thing is still leaking. I am afraid to torque too much and have an even larger problem.

I'm just about to pack it back it back in the box and tell them to pound sand and try my luck a tractor Supply. If any one has any Idea how to stop a leak on a brand new ram, lines and fittings let me know.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

arent the fittings on a ram flare fitting?:confused: if thats the case you shouldnt use tape. if they are pipe ignore what i just said:D

3. 70chevybob

No It is not a Flair. But thanks any way. I guess a thread sealer is not out of the question.

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

It is leaking between the hose and ram or between hose and steering box?

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

That fittings on the ram better be ORB fittings (O-ring bossed) you must have an o-ring on it for it to seal. No thread sealant is needed. to tell for certain if its an ORB thread, look at it and it will have a bevel at the top of the thread, that is where the o-ring seats.

If you have a hydraulic ram with anything other than ORB fittings, its a piece of **** and it should be sent back for a quality unit. I'll take pics of ORB & JIC fittings at work tommorrow for your veiwing pleasure.

6. 70chevybob

Deamon 44, That would be great. Pics rule. I will try to post a pic to show you where it is leaking.

6.2 puller, It is not leaking from the gear box that is holding up fine. It is the connection on the ram its self. The threads are not sealing from the lines to the ram. There is a little bit of wobble between the male and female connections on the ram. http://rocklogic.com this is their kit. So far I'm unempressed.

A friend of mine thinks that they may have sent me the wrong size connections. I couldn't imagine why. That is one of their kits. Its not like I am out running around trying to piece this thing together.

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Heres a few. I didn't shoot any NPT (national pipe thread) thats the only one that needs sealant. and IMO, teflon tape is for plumbers not hydraulic fittings. Use a good PST paste. I really hope your ram isn't pipe thread.

#1- ORB. o-ring on male seats on female bevel. thats the fluid seal.
    [​IMG]

#2- JIC 37 degree (SAE fittings are the same but use a 45 degree)
    [​IMG]

#3- ORB/ JIC dash-4 (1/4") this is the fitting you really use should use. For a crimp on JIC swivel hose end.
    [​IMG]

This is pipe dope. this is what you outta use on pipe threads in a hydraulic circuit. Not tape.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps you identify what you've got there. I can shoot some NPT threads tommorrow if you need.

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Just for giggles here's a

-16 code 61 split flange 45* -16 JIC
    [​IMG]

ORS (O-ring surface) this is getting to be high pressure (6000psi)
    [​IMG]

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My PSC ram used the AN style (same as JIC) fittings and hasn't leaked a bit. All of the rams we use on the vehicle lifts at work are NPT however (they are bit 2.5" bore 36" stroke).

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

FWIW I use Lock-tite's Thread Sealant product at work. We are now working with 750 psi (static, not pulse like an injector line) diesel. Works great and I think a little easier to apply than PST.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Are you talking about Locktite-515? The red fluid? That is only effective on absolutely clean and dry threads. We have that in the cribb too. But it's usually an ice skating day in hell when I get enough NPT fittings like that to make it worth while. It just easier and faster to dope them. Cause when the machine hits the test stand for pressure testing, the guy that built it gets to fix any leaks. Better to just have no leaks to start with.

About half of the hydraulic circuits I build have an operating pressure of 6000psi. On which I try to stay away from NPT, actually I try to stay away from it at all times, dont' get me wrong I use it, only when I have to though.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It is red, but it's Lock-tite 545. AIR the 515 stuff is a gasket maker, 545 is intended to be a thread sealant. I usually have the luxury of being able to make sure the threads are clean & dry but it seems to work well even when slightly wet.

I do agree that NPT is a necessary evil.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'm sorry I realize that, it was a fathead typo. Its a general act of chaos in our shop with 600 tradesmen running around. And we always get.... How come it's not done yet :rolleyes: