Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic press, how do you use one? Is it hard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Feb 1, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a hydraulic press from harbor freight but I dont know how to use one. I understand the basic concept of big hydraulic jack squishing stuff out of and into tight holes but what accesories are involved? What is the procedure to pressing stuff in or out. Thx

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just use whatevers laying around that fits what I need to press... Just be careful with it cause things can shoot out at high speed if at an angle or something...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll find that you need lots of "stuff" to act as a backup for the part that you're pressing parts in or out of. For example, to press out wheel studs you need something behind the hub or rotor to keep the pressure from just making it roll over instead of staying in place. Then you need an assortment of drifts, sockets, pipe, etc. to fit the part being pressed. These go in between the shaft of the press and the part.

I have the Harbor Freight 12-ton press. It works fine, but it is too narrow between the upright rails. This means that many parts won't fit properly on the press table, because the side rails are in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif For example, a 14-bolt rear hub and rotor are too wide to fit on the table so that you can press studs in and out. So you end up trying to hold the hub and rotor in place, while keeping the backup spacer or socket from falling down, while trying to also operate the jack. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If I ever buy another one it will have a span between the rails of at least 30 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. afroman006

So there's no certified "hydraulic press" tools I would need to buy too? If I got one I think it'd be the 20 ton from harbor freight. It sounds like you just use random pieces of junk you find laying around. Whatever fits? Thx for the help.

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[hijack] /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    Has anybody built there own press?
    I got a couple bottle jacks, I'm sure I could make 1 work. Other than that its just some steel,nuts & bolts, and a return spring, right? [/hijack]

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So there's no certified "hydraulic press" tools I would need to buy too?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Someone probably makes some, but it seems that most people just fab up what they need, or use stuff they already have in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. afroman006

HHHHMMMMM...building one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif That sounds intriguing. The 20 ton one is only $150 at harbor freight.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So there's no certified "hydraulic press" tools I would need to buy too?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Someone probably makes some, but it seems that most people just fab up what they need, or use stuff they already have in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bearing splitter is the most common press tool. Most tool vendors sell them. Some come with threaded holes for use with a puller, others do not.

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [hijack] /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    Has anybody built there own press?
    I got a couple bottle jacks, I'm sure I could make 1 work. Other than that its just some steel,nuts & bolts, and a return spring, right? [/hijack]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working up plans on building a 30 or so ton horizontal press for pressing axle tubes in/out of housings. Gonna be biiggggg though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. afroman006

Who has a bearing splitter? I need to get the carrier bearings off my 14 bolt carrier so that will come in handy now that I have a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status