Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic rams?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Jan 2, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what is the best hydro ram out there , does anyone know what kind offroad unlimited uses , or the one on UAV , looking for an aluminum body , rebuildable , NON LEAKING, 1.5" or 1.75" unit with -6 fittings on it 1/2or bigger heim ends 8" travel , are the agr rams as bad as I've heard they are? Not looking for tractor/farm impelment rams. Thanks.............................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I've got the West Texas Offroad kit with the 1.75" ram with heim ends and 8" travel. Doesn't leak and I'm very pleased with the whole kit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics? is it the one on UAV? .............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Same company as the UAV but he has the 1.5" ram, its supposed to be faster. Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

I had severe death wobble after installing my D60 and Xover, the WTO kit solved this for me and it turns my 42's easily.

5. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

is it alum or steel? is that a track bar on the front , and does it limit articulation? ................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

That sure is a nice hydro setup.I was just wondering about the overall strength of the ram.It looks like the shaft of the ram is very small in comparison to everything else.Just curious cause ive seen sooooo many agr rams bent like pretzels.......Farm implement may look crude but its made to handle alot of sh@t.........

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if its alum or steel, I'm guessing steel. Mabye Matt from WTO will will post this info.

Yes thats a trac bar I built (before I got the Hydro Assist) to try and solve my Death Wobble problem. It helped when I drove it with 35's but as soon as I put the 42's back on it returned. I haven't flexed it yet but I'm sure it will limit the flex, or will cause the frame to flex where it is mounted. It goes from the driver's side bumpstop bracket to the pass side spring plate. I talked to Stephen at ORD about this and he had a front trac bar on his coilover setup and it broke at the frame mount. Mine was a quick little ghetto fab job to try to test the DW characteristics. I don't run it anymore.

8. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Yeah I had thought about doing that at one time also with a trac bar , but I coldn't see how it WOULDN'T limit articulation and travel with a leaf spring setup , I was amazed how easily I can turn the wheels by hand with the 60 instead of the 10 bolt front with ball joints!!!! I'm sure that has something to do with the 60's being more prone to DW !!! ..................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The kingpins really dont have any bearing preload like the ball joints did. I still have some DW, so I need to do the WTO kit as well. I hate DW, the 40's on the trail rock though. Ask Grim, he was eating my clods for a little bit yesterday!

Depdog

10. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Glen, are you gonna stick with your low steer set up, or are you gonna go hysteer like keith??

Oh yeah, since I am too lazy to search, will I need a 1" block under the arms with my 4" rough country springs??
    Thanks rob

11. Depdog

I like my low steer just fine. I have a RockRod from Rockstomper and the ORD steering arm. My tie rod is above the bottom of my Dana 60 axle and I dont like the idea of putting all the extra torque straight into the top of the steering knuckle.

Depdog

12. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

The rams i sell are Steel bodied for rock damage resitance. But the piston and top gland are Aircraft aluminum.
    I have them in 1.75 and 1.5" bore sizes and 6 and 8" strokes.
    They are 150 each.

13. Depdog

Matt do the 1.5" and the 1.75" have the same shaft diam.?

Is the 1.75" still suitible (fast enough) for street driving as well?

Thanks
    Depdog

14. TheLakeRat

Both size rams have a 5/8" rod size but i do have a few 1.5' rams with a 1/2" rod left but only a few.

15. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Is the one on fox's UAV a 1.75 , I like that one !!! How much is max pressure in the ram lines, and I need an answer to depdogs Q as well!! street with 1.75?............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. TheLakeRat

Steve is using a 1.5x8.
    the ram lines that i use are rated up to 3000 i think but a power steering box can only handle up to about 1300-1500 psi

17. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is the 1.75" still suitible (fast enough) for street driving as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

My setup pictured above (1.75" ram) is my daily driver. There is no problem with the ram speed and city driving, I work in downtown Oakland /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I chose the 1.75 over the 1.5 because I'm on 42's. I'm not sure if it makes a differnce, but as far as speed, the 1.75 is plenty fast. My steering feels tighter and more responsive, not sluggish at all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif