Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic steering Legal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudjunkie 82, Oct 7, 2003.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was told that Hydraulic steering is Illegal in some states to run on the street.Is this true?

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

its my understanding full hydraulic is by not hydraulic assisted steering.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Correct, I believe most if not all states full hydraulic steering isn't road legal. Needs mechanical steering linkage. Hydro assist is legal in my state I know.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if Im not mistaken, some street-legal ford trucks have had hydro assist on them from the factory. I'd think HA would be 50 state legal. Full hydro isnt street legal, in any state that I know of.

j

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

the reason full hydro steering is not street legal is that should your vehicle stall while travelling on the highway your pump will stop pumping and you have no steering. All hydro steering must be assisting a mechanical steering that will function if the vehicle loses power.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think that hydraulic assist could be illegal in any state, afterall, regular power steering technically is hydrualic assist, the ram just works better. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

if your pump stops say by the motor stalling,will you be able to turn the wheel with the hydrulic cylinder attached and no pump?

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

73-75 ford 4x4's came from factory w/ a hydro-assist type steering set up.

just so u know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That happened in my old work truck and yes you can still steer it but its really hard like when you tose your power steering belt.

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

We just had a discussion like this on a Canadian site. Lots of people had the impression that full hyd steering was illegal for street use. Then there was the group that thought it could be legal as long as you used the hyd rams that allow you to pump fluid and steer if power is lost. But it all came down to one person that called the DOT officers and found out that steering is NOT legislated therefore niether legal nor illegal here in Alberta. There just isnt anything written about it either way. However, they did say that if you get stopped, its up to the officer thats doing the inspection whether or not in his opinion its sfae or not. He can and will haul your vehicle off the road and require you to get it inspected for safety. Then if it passes the tests... good to go. If not, its off the road till its fixed. So, in all reality, lots of things we assume are illegal or not streetable, actually are until its proven to be unsafe! However... if we go calling the officers about every little question, they will clue in that maybe they should be legislating the stuff. So, here in Alberta at least... we are just reading the written safety acts, doing the mods... keeping our mouths shut... and hoping its not too obvious! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

Thats how it is around here,They will look for any reason to muck with you.Bumper heights,mirrors,tires sticking out past the fenders,exhaust.local police arent too bad though its usally the state troopers that will hassle you the worst.

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The tires sticking out thing is another point of contention for us up here. The traffic code up here doesnt have anything stating that your tires cant stick out past the fender. Nowhere does it state that you have to have a fender above your tires. The only requirement that we can find (and a local RCMP that we know well) is the need for mudflaps. So, we are still being hassled by the locals but never charged for it... because there isnt any law covering it!
    Beats me...

Mike

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think that hydraulic assist could be illegal in any state, afterall, regular power steering technically is hydrualic assist, the ram just works better. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and some cars came with a ram from the factory.
    Grant

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's funny about the mud flaps. We in Arizona have all kinds regulations that they can throw at you if you're bein difficult. Mud flaps are apparently only necessary for trucks as SUV's aren't mandated to have mud flaps. You can have a truck that is crazy tall with huge tires and what not but pretty much as long as your bumpers and headlights aren't to high you're good to go in a Blazer. Weird huh??

Allan

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In Illinois, the only law we have that I know of is bumper height. Besides that, we're good to go. I try to keep my tires tucked in though because I think it looks stupid to have 12" of tire sticking out past the fender.

16. mudjunkie 82

When you run big tires it is tuff not to have a little stick out.I run 44"x18.5 wide swampers and they do stick out a little.There is no way to avoid it..............

17. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Rack and Pinion steering is fully hydraulic, is it not. We had a 2 wheel drive '03 Chevy in the shop we did a 19" lift on. I got a real good look at he steering set up. It was fully hydraulic. It was my understanding that it was a rack and pinion. Whatever it is called it WAS and IS fully hydraulic. The steering comes out to and orbital valvel that is attached to 2 rams that steer the front.
    Also, by the way, my fully hydro steering still turns when the motor is off. Not as good as when it is running, but neithr does a regular truck.

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Rack and pinions are just that. There is a rack (take a gear and put all the teeth in the same plane instead of circular) that a pinion rides on to make it turn. They're very simple.

Unless you've got a hydraulic reservoir how does it have the pressure and volume to make a hydraulic cylinder move? Ever try to get a lawnmower with hydraulics or a backhoe to move something with the engine turned off?

I don't know, I think hydraulic steering without a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the knuckle is kind of stupid. Hydraulic assist has been around for at least four decades because my dad has a factory hydraulic setup from a pickup he parted out from the sixties. If you stall with a full hydraulic setup you lose the ability to turn which is retarded and dangerous. It's just like my school has been developing a steer-by-wire setup to eliminate a steering column. They're making the control system 4x redundant but they still have sensor failures and ram failures to work around. Not to mention they haven't figured out a way to make an electric pump strong enough to fit in a small area for redundancy to make up for no mechanical steering.

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Rack and pinion steering, by definition of the name, is NOT fully hydraulic. There is a pinion gear connected to the steering shaft that turns with the steering wheel. The rack is basically a straight piece with teeth on it which meshes with the pinion gear. When the pinion gear turns it causes the rack to move left or right.....everything is mechanically linked.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My buddies brother had a 76 F250 4x4 that had the hydro assist on it. It pretty much sucked. With 35" BFG AT's on it you couldn't really move the tires around at idle if you weren't moving. You had to spin some RPM's to get the thing to pump enough to help move the tires. I am sure his Grant GT steering wheel didn't help, but at idle it was basically a useless.