Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydraulic Steering???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, May 5, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I will tell what I am thinking about and you tell me if you have done it, seen it done, or think that I am crazy and should abort all thoughs immediately. For an off-road only vehicle with 16" suspension lift and 44's used in the mud: Use a steering column from a farm tractor, my current factory power steering pump, and a small hydraulic cylinder mounted from a bracket on the axle housing to a bracket on the tie rod near the knuckle similar to how a steering stabilizer is hooked up? Why? To get rid of the frame crack problem, avoid having to use *expensive* crossover steering, lots of steering power, and with many tractor junkyards around I can get the parts very cheap.

Good idea or bad idea?

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I am using a modified stock pump and an extra resevoir with a ram from an IH 403 combine for my hydro assist on my DD. If you do the set up you are talking about show pics. A friend of mine used forklift hydro parts for a full hydro set up. He used his stock wheel and adapted it to a steering valve.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Personally I'd say go to a steering arm right on the knuckle. Much stronger than puting all the force through the tie rod. Also what ram are you planning on using? Bore, stroke? For all the steering you will want something stronger than the simple stuff we run for hydraulic assist.

4. ugly_blazer

How did your friend connect the ram? Just lookin' for ideas...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not sure if this is a big help to you but here is Billa's article when he went Full hydraulic.

6. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I'd say go to a steering arm right on the knuckle. Much stronger than puting all the force through the tie rod. Also what ram are you planning on using? Bore, stroke? For all the steering you will want something stronger than the simple stuff we run for hydraulic assist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure on the ram size yet, it is still in the thinking/planning stage. It will be quite a bit larger than the assist rams. I though that connecting to the current steering arm would work better also, but can't think of a good way to hook it up. Maybe someone has pics or ideas?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I meant more along the lines of a high steer arm, going to the factory forward back arm I can't see working. Billa has pictures of his setup in that article, that was more how I was talking. Keeps the ram up out of a trouble a little too.

8. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

9. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about doing the ram thing to looking for parts?
    Same questions i was told the size of ram affects the speed of the ram depending on how much flow you can get out of a steering pump. I've got a pump that was hooked to a hydroboost system (supposed to pump more) not sure how much preasure or volume it has I know you can modify it to pump more if you need to. The big q is if you get to big of a ram will and cant get enough volume will it not turn fast enough? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i'm thinking of going with a 2 inch ram with a 8" stroke. I'm shure someone has done this tell how much mods did you do to make it work or if it all just worked. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like what I was thinkin'...

11. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking about doing the ram thing to looking for parts?
    Same questions i was told the size of ram affects the speed of the ram depending on how much flow you can get out of a steering pump. I've got a pump that was hooked to a hydroboost system (supposed to pump more) not sure how much preasure or volume it has I know you can modify it to pump more if you need to. The big q is if you get to big of a ram will and cant get enough volume will it not turn fast enough? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i'm thinking of going with a 2 inch ram with a 8" stroke. I'm shure someone has done this tell how much mods did you do to make it work or if it all just worked. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It also depends on the volume of fluid moved by the streeing valve when you turn the wheel. If the valve flows a lot of fluid per revolution of the steering wheel and you use a too small ram it will move too quickly. If the valve doesn't flow enough and you use a large cylinder it will turn slow??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd say go to a steering arm right on the knuckle. Much stronger than puting all the force through the tie rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

all the force goes through the tierod no matter where you mount the ram
    the tierod is IMO a better place to put the ram

13. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I run a 3 inch ram with a orbital valve made specificly for the ram, my ram is 8 inches of stroke and works great, its alittle slower than the 2 inch setup's I have made and ran with people. I bought my ram from rual king, and others from tractor supply, along with the lines, We have used charyln valve from combines and other farm implements.. When I get my digi cam I will post pics, MJ is right the force will go thru the tie rod no matter what thats why its imparative that you match the travel of your cylinder to your axle. another quick thing I can throw into this is if the truck is off and not moving theres no way to move the tires now if the truck is rolling like you stalled then you can do it. Also make sure you make a larger resivour or you'll run the pump dry on the outboard stroke. Jesse
    You can match your valve pretty easily I will post the specs that we have found and how they work tommorow

14. mudrunner78

high rider a 2 inch ram is quick jsut about any valve and the stock pump will move it just right. I will have to find my notes from when we tested them and post them for you Jesse
    Notes are on different valves and rams

15. highrider_44s

[ QUOTE ]
    high rider a 2 inch ram is quick jsut about any valve and the stock pump will move it just right. I will have to find my notes from when we tested them and post them for you Jesse
    Notes are on different valves and rams

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif yea notes
    what pump did you use and did you have to modify the preasure and volume out of your pump also is the orbital valve easy to modify for flow /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I run a 3 inch ram with a orbital valve made specificly for the ram, my ram is 8 inches of stroke and works great, its alittle slower than the 2 inch setup's I have made and ran with people. I bought my ram from rual king, and others from tractor supply, along with the lines, We have used charyln valve from combines and other farm implements.. When I get my digi cam I will post pics, MJ is right the force will go thru the tie rod no matter what thats why its imparative that you match the travel of your cylinder to your axle. another quick thing I can throw into this is if the truck is off and not moving theres no way to move the tires now if the truck is rolling like you stalled then you can do it. Also make sure you make a larger resivour or you'll run the pump dry on the outboard stroke. Jesse
    You can match your valve pretty easily I will post the specs that we have found and how they work tommorow

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I never thought about if the engine dies (blows up) that I could not steer. That would make it pretty difficult to load on the trailer... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, where do the lines from the reservior hook to?
    Thanks for the info.

17. highrider_44s

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I never thought about if the engine dies (blows up) that I could not steer. That would make it pretty difficult to load on the trailer... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, where do the lines from the reservior hook to?
    Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you just bypass the ram /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif to steer it

18. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]

could you just bypass the ram /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif to steer it

[/ QUOTE ]

And use the factory steering? (if I understand you correctly).
    I was gonna' take it all off and throw it away and use just hydraulic.

19. mudrunner78

I can't find my notes in the shop ?i have to check with my buddies, but as far as not being able to steer without the motor running thats correct. Now you can remover the two plugs on the cylinder and move the tires like that It will not steer with the wheels but a cheater bar can move them. I used nothing but the orbital valve a stock Ps pump and a 3 inch ram. I did no mod's to the pump I did plumb in a cooler but my lines run into the vavle then to the ram and returns. I have a extended resivour and thats about it. I know there is some vavles out there that you can still steer the truck with it running very slowly but you can pump it up with the vavle but I am not sure on that setup. I have 90 dollars in my steering setup I can move the truck with the steering and I never had a problem. Hope this helps so far and I am still looking for my notes. Jesse

20. ugly_blazer

Where did you buy the steering valve at?