Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, May 6, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

Does any one here know anything about hydraulic steering and where I could find out more info? Thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

search. :)

There is a write up about hydro steering in general on the pirate4x4.com tech section too.

I run WTO hydro assist on my rig... if you have specific questions, fire away.

j

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

4. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

what about a price, ease of instilation, and also do you have to have cross over steering? What is the difference of hydro assist and full hydro? Also what are some of the better brands I should look at? Thanks for you help.

78 chevy, 350ci, edelbrock, headers, 6inch 38.5, dual flows.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I know the difference between full hydro and hydro assist is hydro assist retains the mechanical steering box and linkages. The steering box is tapped and lines from it run to the hydro cylinder. In this case if there is ever a loss of hydraulic pressure due to motor stall, broken belt, or hose failure you still have some mechanical steering. With full hydro all the mechanical linkages are gone and the only steering done uses the hydro cylinder. And unless you use an orbital valve (pricy) you will not be able to steer under any of the hydro malfunctions mentioned above. An orbital valve will let you steer with no hydro pressure al long as the system is intact (no leaks or torn hoses). Full hydro may not be street legal where you live. Hydro assist is legal everywhere afaik.