Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic winch

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by prjt_blzr, Mar 11, 2001.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    I'm still working on my '77 Blazer here in COS. I'm finally getting to set up the winch hydraulics. If I remember correctly, you drive your winch from a seperate pump. Are you using a PTO or a belt to drive the pump? How much pressure and flow can I run through the winch? I have the older 9,000lb winch from Milemarker.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Mine's a clutched belt driven pump. I forget all the output numbers, so you might call mile marker about it. It seems like you could run about 16 gpm through the winch. Their valve isn't good for more than about 5 gpm. Watch your pressure, you could easily get the thing to pull more than the winch body or the cable can take. I'd aim for the same pressure they rate them at, 1400psi, since you probably have the 5/16 cable. If you jump up to 3/8 or rope, you could bump it a little bit more. You'll probably have hard time getting more than about 1700 psi from a single belt on the pulley.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about driving the pump from a PTO. I need the air pump on the 454 for the visual part of the emmisions and I have A/C that I'd like to keep (getting old) and a CS144 altenator so I don't have much room for more stuff on the engine. It seems that the PTO option would solve my space problem. Any ideas on where to get one or cost or things to watch out for??

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I know Chelsea makes PTO stuff, but beyond that, not much help. It's kind of a complex setup, so think everything through carefully. Especially the placement of the pieces, so you can route the hoses. That was a major part of my assembly, figuring out how to run the plumbing. Hyd hose doesn't like to fit in small spaces.
    Good Luck!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the help. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Mike

6. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I'm experienced in both the clutch pump (on one tow truck) and the pto pump on another. both work great. The pto pump on my 87 hangs a little low off of my 4speed, you may be able to put yours on your transfercase, space permiting (and if you have a 203 or 205) as for personal preference I like the clutch pump....especially in the winter, going to a call, hit the switch a minute before arrival to heat up the oil (30 gallon tank for hyd winch, boom lift, boom extend...you won't need this capacity,) if you don't have much capacity a oil cooler may be a good idea for you, especially for long heavy pulls. I know it's expensive, but I like synthetic oil (especially in winter) but it hurts in the wallet when you blow a hose. Also make sure you plumb in a remote spin on filter assembly. all in all, both pumps work great, and with your space limitations, you may be forced to go the pto pump route. I had a post here and a couple other places about the winch running off the power steering pump(wanted to do this on my off roader to save weight) but was advised against it, mainly due to very slow winch speed, and using a single belt setup.(my clutch pump has independent dual belts)....just my 2 cents....any other questions just email me or post here...ED