Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydraulic winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jun 14, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am looking for some experience, not simply opinions, on Milemarker Hydraulic winches. I like the idea of not straining the electrical system and not having to worry about overhearting the winch motor. I understand they are slower and you do have to worry about over heating the power steering pump. Any other experiences?

Thanks
    Ken

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have been using a Milemarker 2 speed for over 3 years. I have not had any problems at all. I am running a power steering cooler and haven't any overheating problems. As far as speed is concerned most of the time you just need a little help to get out of a situation and I pull on the high side and it works just fine. I know I am in the minority but I like a hydraulic winch.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

3. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Well, lets see.... MM winches are good and its true that you dont need to worry about strain put on your electrical system. They probably work great for a truck that will spend most of its time in mud bogs and such. But when it comes to rockcrawling they tend not to be a good idea. My roommate has taken his off his Jeep and so has one of our other club members. They found that even on a little Jeep, the MM winch in a rockcrawling enviroment, just couldnt handle it. In a situation where they were trying to winch up a short but steep incline, the winch was crapping out on them. It also has an extremely slow line speed when you compare it to some of the better Warn winches that are on the market today. The other drawback to a hydraulic winch is that the engine must be running for it to work. If you get into a situation where the motor has died and wont restart because of the angle that the vehicle is at, you are dead in the water with the MM winch. An electric winch will work wether the motor is running or not, as long as you have enough power in the battery to get it going.

Please dont think that I am saying that the MM winch is a peice of junk, its not. MM has a great product there and it has its place. It just doesnt work well on a rig that goes rockcrawling. My $.02.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

4. K10

K10 Registered Member

I have a 12000 milemarker winch and it works great. How far can you pull with your motor off when you are pulling 400 amps. Electric winches will stall if you pull too long and overheat them. I can pull with mine all day and it wont slow down. If you upgrade your ps pump to an agr it will almost double your line speed and pull power with a mm. I have never had my winch not be able to pull me or someone else ouy. I have never even had to use my snatch block to double pull power. Milemarker can run underwater an electric wont. I have been in mud almost to the bottom of my windows and it pulled me out.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>http://nick.rockcrawler.com</A>

5. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Could you just hook up a hydraulic pump from a snow plow setup to run the MM??

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]