Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist and crossover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am currently having a Rock Rod made, and I want to improve my steering too sometime in the near future. I have read alot of articles on both hydro assist and crossover, and have some questions.

I know stock steering is hard to turn when you are twisted up, so would hydro assist solve this problem? or do is crossover a must also?

I don't think I really want to do crossover if I really don't have to.(poor college student, and crossover can get $) Is the hydro kit enough?

This truck is going to be an all around truck. DD and trail runner. I plan to run some rough twisted up stuff for a few years here in CO and at home in AZ, but I don't want to dump more money then I have to into something that is not necessary.

I am planning on building an offroad only truck when i get this college thing over and get back to AZ for all the really tough stuff, and my current truck will probably be tow rig and lighter trail action.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think I'd do xover before thinking about hydro assist.

Just my opinion.

-- Mike

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hydro assist could actually damage stuff it you have stock steering and get crossed up, especially with the driver's side down and turning left... Do the cross over first IMO...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is kinda what I was thinking and fearing I would hear.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I know stock steering is hard to turn when you are twisted up, so would hydro assist solve this problem? or do is crossover a must also?

[/ QUOTE ]

do crossover first... the geometry is all out of wack with the stock steering system once you get flexy... add the power of hydro and you'd prolly just end up breaking stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I really want to do crossover if I really don't have to.(poor college student, and crossover can get $) Is the hydro kit enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

shop around... and take advantage of ck5 discounts to get your x-over stuff cheap. Mine is rockstomper... works for me. You might see if you can get in contact with sky manufacturing out in Oregon... he makes a NICE steering arm for less than $100. very beefy and it is machined with the angle in it like the ORD one is.

[ QUOTE ]
    This truck is going to be an all around truck. DD and trail runner. I plan to run some rough twisted up stuff for a few years here in CO and at home in AZ, but I don't want to dump more money then I have to into something that is not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets put it this way... when u get twisted up... x-over makes steering POSSIBLE... hydro makes steering easier. If I didnt run 39.5 TSLs offroad, I still wouldnt have hydro. if you are gonna run 35s or something, just get x-over and save hydro for later.

j