Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist cap pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. 8_YOUR_H2

    8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2000
    Posts:
    2,663
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Iowa
    I decided to take a few pics of the PS cap swap I did. I was in the dark when I started this install and kinda wished I knew what I was getting into. This install is so simple I would say it's a good 20 minute job.

    I had already installed the JKW cap on my 2wd box so these pics are from a 4wd box I had laying around.

    Here is where you stick the punch to loosen the snap ring holding the cap in

    [​IMG]

    Use a little pair of pliers to pull the snap ring out

    [​IMG]

    Here is the ring. It is split where my fingers are. The ring is not very stiff so its easy to get back in place.

    [​IMG]

    Now, my 2wd box is almost new so all I had to do was turn the input and it popped right out. I had the top cap off the 4wd box pictured so it wouldn't build any pressure. I put in a self tapping screw and pulled it right out with a crow bar, NOTE** If you use the screw trick make sure the wheels are centered, the piston is forced all the way to the front of the PS box if it is turned all the way to the ......umm......Right I think....Or left...right or left so make sure its centered or the screw will hit the piston and not go in that far. (I assume no liability of you break your ****!)

    [​IMG]

    Here is the piston of the 4wd box, see that "O" ring in there? Don't forget about it. Make sure it dosen't get all stove up in there when you put the new cap on!

    [​IMG]


    So now you pop the new cap on and replace the snap ring. I used a small hammer and a small cold chisel to persuade it back in. No photos of that sorry.

    Now onto the top cap. 4 bolts hold it in as well as an adjusting nut. Then the top cap unscrews from the adjuster doohickey. Here is the backside of the top cap. You can clearly see the indentation where you need to drill

    [​IMG]

    I screwed up the first cap trying to drill it by hand. That was a mistake. So take two I used a drill press. Duhhh, shoulda done that to begin with. I used a 3/8" NPT tap which required a 37/64" drill bit. Yeah, they don't sell those at the Home Depot.

    [​IMG]

    Like buttah

    [​IMG]

    Done.

    [​IMG]

    You can find pics of the finished product at JKW or EMS offroad.

    Again, don't blame me if you wreck your ****.
     
  2. jkwoffroad

    jkwoffroad Registered Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2005
    Posts:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New Albany, Mississippi
    Thanks for the plug.
     
  3. 8_YOUR_H2

    8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2000
    Posts:
    2,663
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Iowa
    Well since you brought it back to the top...

    I did make a mistake when I tapped the cap the first time. The pipe thread is tapered and I went a little too deep with the tap so it would not seat before bottoming out. I got a new cap at the junkyard for $20 and tapped it a little ways and then checked it...Now it is perfect.
     
  4. MT wheeler

    MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2005
    Posts:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Billings, MT
    Good tech. I have been needing to do this and now I have pics. Thanks. Now to contact JKW about a cap.

    EDIT: Just bought a cap.
     
  5. az-k5

    az-k5 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2003
    Posts:
    2,774
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Phoenix AZ
    Also, for getting the front cap off: Leave it assembled and pull the snap ring. Plug the lines with your fingers or leave the lines on (if the box is on the truck as I did mine this way). Turn the shaft left and the front cap pressurizes and pops off (unless rusted in <- not an AZ issue)
     

Share This Page