Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist clarification Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bobsurf, May 23, 2002.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I've searched around, found a couple of threads and read them thoroughly. Can you guys help clarify a rookie's understanding of it all. As best I can come up with, hydro-assist is just your basic power steering with standard mechanical linkage (ignoring X-over and all that). Then there are Hydraulic steering mods such as the West Texas off-road package which eliminates all mechanical linkage and replaces with completely hydraulic driven ram. Anything I'm missing? I was getting confused cause it appeared people were interchanging those two terms at will.

I will be camping until Tuesday so won't be able to check back in with the site until then. As always, thanks in advance.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hydro ASSIST means that your standard steering stuff is still there... but it is assisted by a hydralic ram... so your steering box and its traditional parts are still doing some work, its just easier because of the ram. A system where your steering box was disconnected from its linkage and the ram is the only thing turning the tires would be a full hydro system... which AFAIK isn't a street legal modification.

J

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

you are wrong. All the mechanicle linkage stays where it is. We just modify the box to accept and work properly with an extra set of lines and a hydraulic ram to help with the steering. That's why it is called hydro assist.
    What you are reffering to is just straight hydaulic steering

4. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Matt, I apologize for misrepresenting your product. Looks like good stuff.