Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Assist...do I need a new pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72THING, Aug 3, 2003.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have WTO Redneck Ram and below 1500 RPM there is very little assist. I have my engine idled low (about 500 RPM)and at that speed its next to impossible to turn the wheel, even in dirt. If I rev it up to 1500, I can turn it, but it feels really weak.

I modified the pump by drilling out the fitting piece to 5/32", removing the 2 shims, and filing some of the stud. Should I do some more mods to the pump, or should I plop down the dough for a new pump? I ran it for a year with no hydro-assist and the pump has definitely gotten a workout. I know this has been covered, but I want some of your input before I spend the money. THANKS.

Will

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I've got the same issues with my WTO setup (still). Had the stock pump, didn't work very well, did all the mods to it like you have, still sucked at low rpms. So, went and got the AGR Superpump...still wasn't like it should be...did the mods to that pump as well (although the Superpump comes with a 5/32" hole already) - still isn't what it should be.

I got a smaller pulley for the pump to overdrive it, and that helped a little bit, but was not the cure all I had hoped for. As of right now, when I get in the rocks and have trouble turning, have to shift into Neutral and rev up motor (at least 1500-2000 rpms) to get any real assist (yeah, total BS!!). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh, and for comparison, I've got: WTO modified AGR box, new AGR Superpump, WTO 8" x 1.75 bore ram, crossover, etc...with 38.5 SXs...am not real happy with the results! Let me know if you ever figure it out!

So, guess my answer is you can try the new pump, but didn't help me much! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Keith. Hopefully I can get it to work properly. I just want some low RPM ooomph out of it. And by the way, I also have a 1.75" ram.

Will

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Okay heres what I did. You get a new box replace the pump. It was like $40. I don't like to replace one part of a system with a performance part and let the other pieces try to keep up. Mine bolted on and works great. get the new pump and call it done.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Did either of you try the 3mm washer to increase the pressure even more then just pulling the shimms out? Also did you hack the neck on the pump and increase the resovore?

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a new pump and put it on. I also modified the fitting by drilling it out to 5/32", took out the shims, and drilled out the small hole in the end to 5/32". While I was bleeding it with the tires off the ground, it felt about the same. But when I let the 39s touch the ground, it was awwwwnnn! I have power steering out the arse now and I can one finger steer it at idle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I almost can't believe how much of a difference it made. I must've really cooked the old pump and it was just over a year old. Thanks for everybody's help.

Will

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

When you say you "drilled out the hole at the end" to 5/32", are you talking about the small hole on the fitting end that WTO says to make a "groove" in?? I think it's the one that they say will help with low rpm conditions?

So, you drilled that hole out? You didn't do like he says on the website? I can't believe that would make that big of a difference, but damn, if I get the energy to take it all apart again, I may just try that...so sick of bleeding that system I could throw up! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Glad your's is working!!

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

You got to trust us sometime. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

kpanza,
    If that doen't help then let me know and i'll do my best to try to help you out and get it working great for you.