Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist....got a question..or 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Feb 27, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

So as far as hydro assist...hows the rock ram from AGR? I found a used one over on pirate pretty close to me. It seemes to be in good condition (from the pics) my box is leaking and I had thought about hydro assist when Ryan brought it up back when I had my death wobble problem in Nov. Is this a good ram? Powerful enough? I never payed much attention to hydro assist, because I never needed it, or had money, but now.... Thanks guys.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

No one has any comments?

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

After seeing what hydro does on my buddies 72 that had some SERIOUS death wobble... I am a firm believer. I have it on my K5, but haven't gotten to test it out yet because I blew up the motor the same day I put the hydro on...:crazy: :crazy:

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I keep hearing hydro assist but i don't know what the hell it is.... steering stabilizers or something that gives you stronger steering?

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is a hydraulic ram that gets pressure from your P/S pump. When you turn left, the ram pushes the tierod that way, etc...

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have the agr rock ram system on my burb & it does fine. It got rid of the death wobble. It dosen't have any problems steering the 44" boggers:D

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

Great, thanks! I guess the lines are long enough? Or did you need to get, longer ones?

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just got my cylinder from Northern tool today. Paid $69 for it. Will be getting the hoses made monday after work. They will be $26. I bought an end cap for the steering box from EMS Offroad
    http://www.emsoffroad.com/hydroassist.htm

I didn't get the top cap. Just gonna tap that myself and add some extra support around the hole. I'll have about $150 in my whole system. Others have done it for $100 or so. OR, you can pay well over $300 for a system. Depends on your wallet:crazy:

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I got my kit from rocklogic ( www.rocklogic.com) for $225 if I remember correctly...

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

Thanks guys. The guys selling the whole setup, box and all, and my box is pissing oil now. A remanned one is 210, I can get the whole setup for 350, and I already have brackets on my hi steer with my stabilizer, so itll be a snap to throw on.

As far as the comment abouit not being impressed with the AGR, why so?

12. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Are you gettin just the ram or the whole kit with the gear box and pump?

One guy I know who is runnin it started with just the ram and a reman box and stock pump then later on added a agr box and agr pump and didnt notice any significant difference as far as flow and pressure was concerned. If its a good deal, go for it!

Honestly, I have no 1st hand, I've never had there kit on any rig Ive owned but I would definately consider it if I had the money! Ive helped put one on and its a beefy kit, definately good stuff. I'd rock it fo sho. But, I'll be rockin some poor mans home brew assist :grin:

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got $86 invested in my hydro ram assist and I paid $100 for the box, already tapped. It's for off road use only, but for the price, it was worth every penny. I only wish I had done it sooner.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

1.5" Rams are generally considered pretty streetable.
    2.0" Rams are generally too SLOW reacting for a street-driven truck.

Something else to keep in mind. I've got a 1.5" on mine and it's nice on the street. I wouldn't say it's a "magic bullet" for resolving death wobble (I can still induce DW if I try) but it certainly calms it way down.

:cool1:

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bingo. My k5 is undrivable without the hydro ram. With the ram on, it will absorb most of the deathwobble, and if it does start the DW vibe, i only have to tap the brakes to get it to stop instead of slamming on the brakes and pulling over to a complete stop.
    I have the WTO setup, didn't even mod my PS pump and it makes a hell of a difference. I also made a 3" spacer and installed it inside the ram to limit it from 8" down to 5" of throw perfect for HI-Steer. (thanks esteban for that tip!)
    Ive been through about 5 leaky rams, and finally this last time when the seal started pissing, i rebuilt it myself with some $0.99 seals from home depot, and i haven't seen a drop outta the ram in a month. :grin: :grin:
    I got a spare ram and lines just in case i break when i'm out wheeling, i'll be able to put a new ram on and still drive home safely.
    On the trail and In the rocks, the hydro ram is night and day difference.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  16. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a quick dumb question.

when you was 1.5" ram is that the Bore size, rod or what?

Sorry of the hijack.

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bore size of the ram cylinder and seal.