Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro assist + hydro winch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Mar 17, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm putting hydrolic assist on my K5 and I want to install a milemarker 12,000 lb. hydrolic winch on the front of my rig. I know both of these take a toll on the power steering pump so all I want to know is if I'd be better off with an electric winch vs. the hydrolic one? And if I decide electric, would the milemarker one be decent or should I invest in a higher quality piece? Thanks for any input guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

using a hydraulic winch would make you completly screwed if your engine goes out on you in water.

3. TruckNutzDude

Running in water is one of the reasons why I wanted a hydrolic winch. I've heard that some electric winches can fail when submerged in water too often /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i don't know about the milemarker but my warn 12000 has been swimming a few times and i have had no problems with it.

5. TruckNutzDude

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have suggestions on electric winches that can handle the abuse?

6. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I've done a lot of good winching with numerous members of the Warn family, from the little 2,000# critter on my Arctic Cat, all the way up to the bigger 10 and 12,000 big brothers. Never had a problem with any one of them. Used the XD9000i a ton for extracting everything from logs to forklifts and in all weather conditions, again, with no troubles at all. Had several of these submerged and not a single failure. Warn are good people to deal with as well, a buddy of mine had a 9,000# on the front of a Jeep that he burnt up the motor on a year or two after the warranty expired. He called them up and explained what had happened, they said ship it back and they'd replace it. He paid to have it shipped down to them, but was given a brand new winch in the exchange. Pretty good customer service if you ask me.

Is MegaWinch still in business? I knew a few guys who ran their 12 or 15,000# winches and were quite happy with them. Warn still gets my vote though for toughness and reliability. At any rate, no matter what brand you go with, definitely get yourself a good high quality snatch block or three. You'd be amazed at what you can do with a couple of them handy.

Best of Luck,

Mike