Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist instead of x-over

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Sep 21, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im thinkin about leaving the stock front to back steering and puttin on hydro assist. it would be way cheaper for me to go this route than to do x-over. im just lookin for a way to take stress off the frame and get alot better steering. im also gonna put in the frame support, but just dont want to put money into crossover when hydro assist would be more economical for me. thanx for n e help.

NITRO

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well you could do it . Here is why you do cross over. The drag linkg from the steering arm to the arm on the knuckle is short. If you have good felx the drag link can get at a sever angle. When that happens it cannot exrt enough leverage on the steering arm to cause it to move. Yes the ram would try to make it happen but your still going to have some problems. If you have stiff front suspension then go for it. If your flexy...do the cross over.

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I hava a 1-ton with hydro assist stock. Before the x-over it still sucked. I put on the x-over and the difference ws amazing. I say do the x-over, then do the hydro assist for extra help.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, didn't we have this conversation about a month ago? Musta been someone else, but the question was exactly the same...

Grim’s got your answers pretty well covered. Only thing I would add is that, if you get flexed up (and I’m not talking a whole lot), the ram will have more travel than the steering box can allow. When the box goes as far as it can, the ram will still be pushing the knuckles/tires AND the box. This could rip the box off the frame or damage the box. Hitting the box limit before the ram/steering limits will provide FAR more stress to the frame than the stock setup could ever dream of...