Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist on the cheap...Under $100

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just ordered the stuff for my assist..

Ram- 1.5x8x1
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005122900455966&item=9-6645&catname=hydraulic

Hose- Ordered 3, one for a spare. 48"
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005122900455966&item=916-1448&catname=hydraulic

Fittings-

4 of these- 2 for the box, 2 for the ram
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005122900475917&item=9-1501-4-4

2 of these- adapter to attach the hose to the ram
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005122900475917&item=9-6405-4-4

Total cost $87.93.

This is the 1.5x8x.75" ram-
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005122900530328&item=9-4410-08&catname=hydraulic

I've been researchng this assist thing quite a bit the last few days, and have read about the problems with the 1.5" bore rams. However all the problems I've read about are concerning the 1.5 bore ram with a .75" diameter rod. I'm hoping the larger 1" diameter rod helps to stop the possible bending and resulting leaks. There is a larger difference in the push/pull specs between the two rams- The 1" ram- Push/Pull 5290/2940 lbs. The .75 ram- Push/Pull 3,350/2,650 lbs. The steering force with .75 ram would be closer to equal both left and right...But the 1" ram has a higher rating all the way around. It'll be quite a bit stronger 1 way than the other vs the .75 ram, but still stronger than the .75 ram in both directions.

As far as speed, the one 1" I ordred might be slower than the .75" ram, but should still be faster than the 2" rams, most of which have 1.125" rods.

I learned alot from this thread on Pirate- Including the link to the SurplusCenter stuff.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352276&highlight=hydro+assist

Obviously, I'm going to port and tap my own box, and fab the mounts myself. Probably try the radiator hose method for more fluid capacity. If I'm not happy with how it works with a new, stock style pump, then I''ll probably start experimenting a bit with some of the flow/pressure mods on the WTO website. I have a new spare pump in addition to the almost new one on my truck, so I have some room to play. :)

Whatever happens, its gotta be better than trying to turn 42's on a Detriot locked 60 wth the stock setup. :eek1:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe where did you get the info for drilling your box? I've got a few pictures and some very limited info, but I gotta do this on mine (or I'll never be able to turn these damn wheels) and I need a little info. pm it to me if you would be so kind(otherwise I'll loose track of this)

thanx, matt

3. Zeus33rd

These are pictures of a couple club members boxs-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna do mine just like those pictures. Seems simple enough. ;)

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Right on man! thanks!

5. Zeus33rd

No problem. :D

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so are those the same parts off the pirate thread? let us know how it works out

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Yes,let us know...I've been thinking of this also.:D

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Dam, I paid $160 for a PSC 1.75" ram alone!

Are there any specific measurements that need to be done on the steering box for the drilling and tapping, or any write up's? I have had one steering box apart and it was horrible. I never did get it back together right. :doah:

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i got some too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

DSC03857_1.jpg

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Jethro, I just ordered the same ram last week and its showing up today. What are your plans for mountint it? Some have said they cut the ends off and rotated them 90 degrees and welded them back on. I have talked with Kurt at DIY4x about his mounting brackets and hes working on figuring something out for me as soon as i get more info too him.

12. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I dont see the need for the ram to have a bunch of up and down travel along the tie rod as long as you install it parallel to the tierod. Im using a tractor ram and so far I have not had any issues with the mounts. Where the pin goes through there is a bit of play so that if it does need to move it can. My major issue is clearance, I have pretty much no up travel.
    [​IMG]

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is it just mr or has the ram, bent you tie rod?

14. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Most aftermarket rams have heim joints at one end at least. This one is rigid on both ends and one end is mounted 90* from where you would want it. I am interested in how you mount it (add a heim, turn one of the mounts, etc.). Kinda seems to me that the tie rod would move up and down based on the caster angle.

15. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I also wanted to ask about your fittings. Did you actually mean you bought two 90s and four adapters or visa versa?

16. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Its just the pic, well acctually the vent line thats hanging. That pic was taken before the ram was even fully hooked up.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status Premium Member

there are 4 adapters. 2 for the hose to the 90's, and 2 fromt the hose to the ram

18. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

before you tap the top port move it up 1" above the cast line opposite of this pic
    [​IMG]

that pic is my box and i broke off that top fitting. i was able to save the box and plug the hole. i moved it up and no longer have issuses with the tires hitting the fitting.

19. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

20. Zeus33rd

Just ported and tapped my box today. It's installed back on the truck ready for the rest of the stuff to show up.

I didn't have a write up or any instructions for porting the box, but the write-up that Rene posted is almost exactly what I did. I did this at work, and Jesse had a box for his assist already tapped and not bolted to the truck, so I used that as an example. The only thing I did different from the write up, was changing the location of the top port. I copied Jesses box which was tapped just like the picture BOWTIE posted. Mine is ported just like this one-
    [​IMG]

I've already got a nice shiny spot on my box from the 42's rubbing on it...If I had put the port in the lower location, I would have torn it off in the parking lot. :haha:

BTW, AWESOME pictures BOWTIE. I'm going to use those pictures as a guide when I do the pump mods. :bow:

Dissasembling the box is just as simple as the Ramcharger writeup makes it out to be. When I drilled mine, I waited till I could just feel the bit starting to break through, (didn't use the 1/8" pilot bit) then stopped and filled the flutes of the bit with grease to catch the chips. Had to stop, clean the bit and repack with grease 3 or 4 times for each hole. Same thing while tapping. Then I used a small magnet to root out any left over chips.

Not exactly the same...I ordered longer hoses and 4 90* fittings rather than 2 90's and 2 45's.

Dunno bout the Ram mount yet. Haven't thought about it much...I will when I have the rest of the parts in my hand. It'll probably be something similar to the one in the Ramcharger writeup. I've never liked the idea of mounting to the diff cover. Not because of strength issues, 10 grade 8 bolts are plenty, and mine are counter sunk, kinda like a lugnut, so it's that much stronger. Mostly don't like it cause it can cause leaks. I can't handle leaky anything. Makes me insane. I'll prolly cut the end mount off the ram and turn it 90*. No problem there....thats like a 20 min job. There shouldn't really be any figuring that needs doing, it's not rocket science. :D

No mistakes or typos, I meant exactly what i said. :wink1::D 2 of the 4 90's will be threaded directly into the tapped holes on the box. The other two will thread into the the adapters that will thread into the ram. The Ports on the ram are SAE -4, the 90's are 1/4" NPT, thus the need for the 2 adapters.

I forgot to take my camera to work with me today, so I couldn't get any pictures. I'll get some pics of my box and I'm going to do the pump mods tommorrow, so I'll take some pictures of that too.:wink1: