Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist psp problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clarkjw24, May 5, 2006.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I did the hydro assist with pump mods. I'll put about 2 1/2 quarts in the system. I also did the ps boot reducer to external canister for more fluid capacity. The ram moves in and out but only at full left or right lock. I know this because I don't have it hooked to the tie rod yet. My known problem is that now my ps pump is roaring likes its low in fluid. How much fluid with this system now hold and what is the proper way to bleed it? Is it possible that my pump have gone bad in the two weeks I had it off of the truck? Help please and thanks.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

one of the best ways i have found to bleed a ps system is to use a hand vacuum pump attached at the top of the ps pump. apply some vacuum and let it sit for a while. the vacuum being low pressure will draw the air out of the system because it will be at atmospheric pressure.

if not, just turn the steering wheel lock to lock, apply the brakes, and keep on untill you bleed the air.

got any pics of the boot reducer and resivior? dont know how much fluid it should hold.

3. clarkjw24

Thanks Ryan, I tried pumping the brakes but that didn't help. It just made the roaring in the ps pump louder. I'm wondering if I put the low pressure lines in the right spot on the ps pump resi. Or if my pump is done and I need to swap in a new one.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

is the fluid all foamy looking?

what kind of fluid did you use?

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

I just completed the same setup, and didn't have any problems? To bleed the system, I just turned the wheel SLOWLY lock to lock, and let it sit for a couple of minutes each time I went L or R. I did it with the engine NOT RUNNING and the tires off of the ground. No problems at all and done in less than 30 minutes.

6. chevysmithz71

chevysmithz71 1/2 ton status

Just finished mine, works great turning the big meats. Not to jack thread or anything buuut, I Just want to know what difference people have felt in the steering while driving? My wheel is a lot tighter to turn while just driving. It was easier with my regular power steering just seems tougher to turn. Is this normal?

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put the front of your truck on jackstands, hook up your steering linkage, leave the motor OFF, light a big stogie, and crank the wheel back and forth until the cigar is gone. Add fluid as needed, cap everything, fire motor and away you go. The way the box taps work is essentially through feedback from the sector shaft. Therefore, if the steering linkage isn't hooked up, no resistance, meaning no fluid flow to the ram until you've cranked it to full lock. Hook everything up and force the ram back and forth. I promise it'll work.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make sure the system can breath! It needs to vent to atmosphere. I didn't vent mine at first and it roared and sucked the extension tube flat!

9. southernspeed

Mine is s-l-o-w and I'm only using a 1 1/2 ram I think I'll try notching the end of the presure valve as that's the only pump mod I haven't done yet.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

my steering is pretty fast with rocklogic 1.5" ram. mine was roaring at first, probably cuz the fluid hadnt gotten all throughout the system yet. after a couple turns it worked perfectly. i did the pump mods except for notching pressure valve

11. southernspeed

It's strange how much they vary. One thing that occured to me though was that, on my '78 the steering was really light but on my '91 the steering was always heavier which was actually nicer to drive with on the street as it made it feel more stable so I'm figuring there is something about late pumps or boxes that makes the difference.:confused:

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well i just got a reman psp cuz i blew up the original one without the mods when i first hooked up the hydro assist. my 2wd steering box is off a late 70's truck. can you turn it with one finger?

13. southernspeed

Yeah, there's no lack of power in mine but it is slower, as it's always been. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the valving in the pump??? is different on later pumps to give it a better road feel. Can't remember where though....old age i guess!:D

14. clarkjw24

Thanks guys for all the info. After reading some of your post I realized what the problem was. I was trying to bleed the system without any resistance on the ram. In other words I didn't have the ram mounted, just plumbed. So I welded on the tabs, mounted the ram and cranked it left to right a few times and no more problems. BTW looks like the system only needs about 2 quarts.:doah: :haha:

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

good to hear you got it working right.

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, i know thie thread is a month old now but you were asking about pics of the reducer and since no one seemed to have paid any attention to your request and i just got around to viewing this post here is a pic of the boot that i bought from the local Chrysler dealer. The part number is 4333475

Power steerin resevoir 001.jpg