Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro-assist Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If i'm gunna get a ram from WTOR and im getting somone to tap my box. can I mount the ram in the factory steering stabalizer place? Or do I have to start welding tabs and whatnot like that?

Is hydro-assist really noticible after you install... i guess what im asking is... is it worth it?

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I believe the stabilizer mount will not give you enough throw. If you are using the 8" ram it will limit your turning radius and possibly break other stuff. If you use a 6" ram (un-common)it might work but then again, you may not get your full turning radius. You will have to weld brackets on the tie rod to mount the cylinder end of the ram on for clearance reasons. You might as well do the other end too. If you are running hy-steer with a 60F then you may be able to get away with using the SS mount and the tie rod mount on the knuckle without welding anything. Grab a tape and go do some measuring /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You want to mount the ends of the ram with it close to fully extended and the wheels will need to be turned all the way to the left.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You could use the stock mount on teh axle after a little gusseting and beefing (there is now a hydrolic "tractor" ram there). The stock location on the tie rod is the problem. Hydrolic rams will bend a stock tie rod like it was rubber. Using a clamp (like one from MOO) or welding on tabs to a rock rod is far better.