Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist question(added pic)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Apr 22, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I did the west texas off road power steering pump mods to my pump. I sounds like it's cavitating now. What could cause this and what can I do to fix it? I love what it did for my steering. Man is it sweet. By the way I drilled the center hole to 7/64. Is that too much maybe? I mounted a cadillac reservoir(sp) on top of my alt bracket that gravity feed to the saginaw pump reservoir(sp) via a 5/8 hose. I'll post pics in a bit. It seems like a cool combo to me. You can see how steep the angle of the 5/8 supply hose is pretty steep. I don't think there is a flow restriction.
    [​IMG]

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

mine wouldnt stop making noise right after i did it.....it was late so i went to bed....messed with it the next day and it was quiet for awhile....then started again making the noise....so i jacked up the front of the truck..let it idle and slowly turned the wheels lock to lock many times...and the air finally removed itself.....

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmm, I like that caddy res. What is the application and volume?

[Edit]
    Oh, your questions... I don't remember what size I drilled mine, so can't help there. Didn't have any problem getting mine bled either. Just cycled it setting on a jack a few times back and forth before ever cranking it, keeping it fairly full, it will overflow when locking to one side (depending on which way the ram is mounted) if you fill it too full. Anyway, good luck...

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is the trick to getting air out of your power steering system after you have put it back together:

1. Lift both front wheels off the ground on jack stands.

2. Start engine and turn wheels back and forth close to lock-to-lock, but not all the way, for about 10 minutes.

3. Turn the wheel to either left or right (it does not matter which) full lock, and turn the engine off. Let the power steering system sit full lock, with the engine off, for about 30 minutes.

4. Repeat step number 3 for the other side.

If you are a mechanic on a busy schedule, then letting the steering sit at full lock with the engine off for 10 minutes will suffice, but if you are working on your own truck at home, and you have the luxury, then let it set for 30 minutes.

I like that caddy reservoir too!

5. scoutillac

The cadi res came off of a larger body with rear discs. They mount on the core support I believe. I used about 2-2.5 quarts of PS fluid to fill the whole system. I left the cadi res down just a bit to prevent overflow from the ram coming back. I bled it w/o out power for 20 minutes and then started for 30 minutes or so. I paused for 30 seconds to a minute at each side. Then I drove it up wheelin for 6-7 hrs. It did great it just sounded like a gear drive and seemed to be hot to me. I don't know what temp, but it was pretty damn hot to the touch.

6. scoutillac

The cadi res came off of a larger body with rear discs. They mount on the core support I believe. For the cap on the PS pump I put a piece of 2" hose. The I cut the fill neck off of an old pump. In the top of the old neck I welded a 5/8 nipple for the fill hose. Then I hose clamped that to the hose on the PS pump. I have a sort of dark pic if you guys want to see it. I used about 2-2.5 quarts of PS fluid to fill the whole system. I left the cadi res down just a bit to prevent overflow from the ram coming back. I bled it w/o out power for 20 minutes and then started for 30 minutes or so. I paused for 30 seconds to a minute at each side. Then I drove it up wheelin for 6-7 hrs. It did great it just sounded like a gear drive and seemed to be hot to me. I don't know what temp, but it was pretty damn hot to the touch.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is the fluid bubbly or milky lookin?

8. scoutillac