Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist...questions and problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Oct 30, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Last weekend was the first big trial for my truck and aside from a few things it works beautifully.

The hydro assist was a lifesaver in the rocks, I was able to move the entire truck sideways to get myself out of a jam on more than one occasion...however....there are some hickups. First off, I could tell the fluid was getting way too hot, I'm gonna add a small cooler the next time I get a chance to work on it. Question #1: Which line running from the pump to the box is the low pressure return line? I don't want to go cutting the wrong line and having to make another.

Also, by the end of the weekend, the setup was leaking a fair bit. I don't know if this had to do with the pressure and heat it built up in one of the rock gardens but it looks like it's leaking from the bottom fitting on the steering box. I'm afraid I might have run the tap a little too deep and it doesn't seal all the way. Question #2: IF I tapped too deeply, is there a good way to deal with it aside from getting a new box? I don't even know if I'm diagnosing it correctly but it seems to be the most likely place for it to be leaking from.

Finally, although the steering is fine when moving on asphalt or the truck is on small tires, it is admittedly a little slow turning the boggers on the trail, I had to slow down a couple of times when we were zipping between trails because the steering wouldn't keep up with the tight stuff. I'm gonna mod the pump and hopefully (crossing fingers) not blow it up. Question #3: How many people have done the pump mods and what effect did they have? All I need is for the steering to be more responsive below about 1,200 rpm's, above that it's plenty fast.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

if its too deep drill it bigger then get more fittings. so you would need a nipple then a reducing coupler to get back to where you were

p.s. what size ram did you use?

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Hey bud not sure on your line fittings but I have a box lying around the shop with the newer style fittings on it if you need it. It is unmolested with 4x4 shaft so yould need to swap in your shaft if you have crossover but if you end up needing one give me a shout. Can't keep much with the problems but I am off to the wreckin yard in the AM for a cooler for my hydro assist :p:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the offer Brian. I don't know what the year split is for the fittings but mine had the original '89 box on it if that helps at all. I'll see what I can do for it.

As for the adaptors and such, I'm afraid my tires would get into the fittings and rip them out of the box if I were to add any length to them.

Hell, come to think of it that might be what happened, I'll have to check the tire and the fittings next time I go home for marks :crazy:

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yup mine should fit yours as it does not fit my 79's fittings. It is an unmolested box if you want to pay the ride to you.