Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Assist Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by captaininsano, Dec 23, 2004.

1. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I am going to do hydro assist steering on my rig possibly today and I have a few questions. First is ram travel, I believe I need a 2" bore by 8" travel ram correct?

Other question is how does the pressure from the ram not break something when the steering hits the lock? I am assuming if you were turning full right for example and the knuckles reach the steering lock would it not want to keep going? Do you just have to be careful when using this setup or is there some way the pressure gets relieved?

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Mark

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I deleted the cross post from CoG. It's a pretty common near bolt-on mod, so it was borderline for CoG and cross posting is seriously frowned on.

Yes, typical is 8" stroke by whatever piston you chose. 2" is very strong but a bit slow. Many prefer the 1.5 or 1.75" for better power/speed balance.

All you need to do in positioning it is to get it close. There is a bypass that will keep it from pushing all the way out to the end of the ram after you hit the stops. However, make sure your steering stops are in good shape. I broke both mine off in the knuckle not long after installing my ram. The stock pieces seem to be not so strong, or either fatigued from years of use. I replaced mine with G8 bolts and have had no more breakage.

3. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

where to buy 1.5" ram

Where can I get a ram that size (1.5"), smallest bore I have been able to find anywhere by itself is 2" bore. Is the RockLogic kit a good kit for 220? Seems like it although I was hoping to build my own for about half that.

thx