Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist ram: 1.5" vs. 1.75" HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTMike, Apr 14, 2006.

1. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Since the search fucntion doesn't work with short numbers like those very well, I'll ask this.

I've been told by many people to avoid the 2" ram because it's too slow... and been told to go with a 1.5".... BUT I 've come across a reasonably priced (not a steal, but not bad either) 1.75" ram with the mounting tabs & heims and wondered how it would compare in speed to a 1.5" ram?

Would I be satisfied with a 1.75" or should I just buy a 1.5" and remove all doubt?

This would be going into my trailer queen K10 (Some street duty but only to & from trailheads), 38.5's, HummVee wheels, Welded D60, mainly trails & snow trail runs.

Thanks for any & all help!

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

When I ordered my ram assist, the guys at west texas offroad said they recommended 2" only for total off-road rigs, 1.5" if you're like 90% on-road, and the 1.75" for a good mix of the two. According to them it should still be very streetable with the 1.75. Ive yet to install it though.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If it's only for the trail heads, then the 1.75 should work fine. Heck, I would venture to guess that even a 2" could work good enough for that... depending on how far you have to drive it.

Everyone says that the 1.5 provides the best steering response for the road in daily driving. That's what I plan to run. I've been trying to find one locally, with no luck. Spent a better part of one day calling all over town.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

5. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running rocklogics 1.5x8 ram. At times, I find it to be a little slow. Making quick turns in parking lots and correcting power slides are two areas that really get to me. I know I know, shouldn't be sliding a big blazer on the street but what ya gonna do when the detroit kicks in?:D Off road, I couldn't have asked for more.

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

7. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Im currently running the surplus ram and love it. Ive only been out with it a few times but its payed for itself as far as Im concerned. Laying almost completely on my side, I could still steer and move the truck.:D Havent seen any reason to go bigger(yet).

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im running the same setup, rocklogic 1.5x8 on the street with detroits. sometimes i wish it would move faster, like when parking or quick turns its a little slower than id like. it might be because it needs a bigger resovior. when wheeling, i love it, the turning speed doesnt bother me at all

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

For those with slow response, have you done the p/s pump mods?

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yep, i started with a new steering pump and did the mods before i put the pump in. i think my problem is i need more fluid in the system. gatta make a big resovior.

under normal driving its fine, its when you try to make fast turns, like when parking that u feel it hesitate to keep up. really not a big deal tho.

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Wow - thats an old thread.

I ended up getting the 1.5" Rock Logic ram and it's great.... however, I think I need a new/upgraded pump. When the wheels get under load, (ie in snow, or aired down on hard surface) I turn and it starts to move, but then the wheel gets "hard" like I have no power steering at all. The belt sometimes squeels, but sometimes not, but the wheel won't turn without excess force. I should be able to turn it lock to lock with my pinkey but that's not always the case.

I've done the pump mod, and have done the "radiator hose filler neck extension" to expand resivor volume, both have provided no change in this behavior.

Ideas?

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What about a cooler?

13. txfiremank5

What, exactly, is everyone doing to modify the pump?

For those who are experiencing some resistance with quick turns, what size lines are you running?

14. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Adding fluid capacity wont change the speed at all. As long as you have enough room for ther to be fluid for full extension/ retraction then you are good.

16. txfiremank5

17. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status