Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro assist really good for you?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Feb 7, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I was told by a very reliable rockcrawler/ fabricator, Randy Ellis (www.randyellisdesign.com), that hydraulic assist has problems supplying enough pressure for "fast steering" and that its not needed for my application (i.e. driven to work 2 times a week/rockcrawler/trailrig). He related that I shouldn't even need it for 38's and that a good crossover steering setup is all that is needed (by the way he said that ORD's kit is the only complete kit he's seen). Is this true? Randy knows his stuff and he's very reliable in the "you don't need this" department. Just check out his website and you'll see his expert work. You guys who keep up with ARCA probably have heard of him. He won the second Top Truck with one of the first set of boggers too! With Chevy drivetrain he he!

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

My kits are complete and I do address the issue of low RPM steering lag when I do the mods to the box. I also have a free tech article on how to boost the flow of your stock pump to help solve these problems. Of course this mod is not for everybody but If you are running 38" tire then you will benifit from it. In fact I just did a kit on a Jeep with 33's, just so his wife could drive it. And this Jeep is never wheeled hard. They just had bad wobble problems. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I don't think it's "needed". But it definately helps yah. You can definately live without it. Most people have and still do. Just wheel without it, and if you're really struggling with your large meats on some tight turning and are willing to shell out the beans, then go for it. It defianetly made my life easier in some situations. It's like a winch, you don't need it, b/c you can use your hilift to winch you out, but life would be soo much easier with one....well, maybe that's a bad example[​IMG], but you get the idea.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The design of ram assist is basically a compromise between force and speed. If you use a small diameter piston for your ram, you will get high speed response, but not as much assist down below. If you use a big piston, it will be able to push a mountain aside with the side of the tire, but you will be forced to steer really slowly. The real limiting factor is the flow rate of the steering pump at idle. There are a few things that you can do to the pump, which have all been talked about before, but you can only take that so far. Eventually you have to come up with a bigger pump or just pick your compromise and live with it.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>