Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist to drag link?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Butch, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Anybody attached their ram to their drag link? How did it work out? I am looking at very close tolerances and want to use the drag link instead of the tie rod

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I haven't done it, and I don't think I would, even on a D60. If you do, that will place all the "power" going through the passenger knuckle to push both tires. Just think about the forces at work if your using your tires to "push" the truck sideways off a rock or something. I would be concerned that this would lead to a failure of the knuckle itself. Just my opinion but, mine is going on the tie rod.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

you've seen how mine's set up, it still puts all the stress on one knuckle, just looks different. i do worry a bit about it but I still kind of drive it like it has a 10 bolt and 37's so till that wears off I'll be OK.

the difference with yours is that you'll be putting a lot of stress on the heim out there where mine's spread out on the arm. You should look into building a girdle (for lack of a better term) to bolt over the top of your heims on that right side. Add a bolt in back of the tie rod, and bolt a strap over the extra bolt, the tie rod and the draglink. That'll put the whole thing kind of in double shear and would help stabilize the connection there. Cheap easy insurance.

I say go for it, it's not ideal but it'll work better than leaving the ram at home.

Can you bolt it to the arm somewhere?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

you've seen how mine's set up, it still puts all the stress on one knuckle, just looks different. i do worry a bit about it but I still kind of drive it like it has a 10 bolt and 37's so till that wears off I'll be OK.

the difference with yours is that you'll be putting a lot of stress on the heim out there where mine's spread out on the arm. You should look into building a girdle (for lack of a better term) to bolt over the top of your heims on that right side. Add a bolt in back of the tie rod, and bolt a strap over the extra bolt, the tie rod and the draglink. That'll put the whole thing kind of in double shear and would help stabilize the connection there. Cheap easy insurance.

I say go for it, it's not ideal but it'll work better than leaving the ram at home. Not that this alone makes it OK but I've seen the currie rig and I think Gremillion's bronco running the ram on the pitman arm or draglink. Not exactly apples and apples but worth looking at still.

Can you bolt it to the arm somewhere? I'm sure you looked at that, since we talked about it a bit but I think we talked about the LH arm, not the right.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...I still kind of drive it like it has a 10 bolt and 37's so till that wears off I'll be OK

<hr></blockquote>

Ah, is that what happened in Kremling. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Pete

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

We've done a couple like that but we try to avoid it as much as possible. Mainly because of all the reasons that everyone has already listed. Another reason is if you have any slack in your steering linkages then it makes it get a little squirrly on the highway