Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist with the big ram finally done!! PICS TOO

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Sep 3, 2004.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Finally got it all done and it works great!!!!! Total cost was about 100$ I taped the box myself, got the ram for 59$, hoses for 6.49$ each, and four fittings at 1.50$ each.I got the steel for the brackets for 10$ and spent lots of time on it. Still have to repaint but it is all done. Well on to the pics!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nuce that is friggen big!!!
    how fast dose it turn, that is my conseren with a dd. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Isn't the angle you have it on gonna bend the tie rod when the tires wedge up against something? Did you use that angle to calibrate the travel of the cylinder with the travel of the pitman arm?

4. backyardbuilt

I haven't noticed a difference from my regular steering without it. I drive my truck and I'm not worried at all.

5. backyardbuilt

The angle looks alot steeper than it is because I took the pics up high but it should be fine. I had the tires turned all the way to the left with the ram fully extended when I welded the bracket on, but the ends of the ram are adjustable to compensate. I will test it on the 18th of sept. on my clubs annual picnic and report back. But a friend has his mounted the same way and it has worked fine for over a year.

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What size ram did you go with??

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looking good! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

very sexxy!! and for only 100 bucks...I'll take 2 please /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. Was the ram too long to weld to the axle? So you haven't noticed any issues with the speed being to slow? Did you just mod your pump per WTO? Are those tubing spacers on each side of your brackets, seems easier than trying to use 1" stock.
    Hopefully another week and I can get mine (ram is gonna cost me $72 at the local farm store). All set up, tapped box, modded pump, cooler & extended external resevoir are all in place. I can turn with my pinky right now, but with the tires on the ground, I don't get full lock to lock, it pushes the axle/springs around too much.

10. backyardbuilt

2" bore 8" stroke

11. backyardbuilt

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking good! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    very sexxy!! and for only 100 bucks...I'll take 2 please /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I am glad it turned out the way I planned!

12. backyardbuilt

I didn't want to mess with welding to the axle, I wheel pretty crazy and didn't want any issues (60's cost too much for issues). It isn't any slower than my stock steering was, I could steer with my piggy finger too (still can) but with this I know the steering box is gonna stay on the frame and if I do get hung up in the rocks I'll have steering. I haven't modded the pump yet, we will see when I get more than around the block a couple of times to really see how it works. They are spacers and it was alot easier after reading what 84chevy_k10 had to do to get the holes in 1" plate. Thanks for the help on the steering box reseal!!

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did you mod your pump yet?

My pump screams but it still turns the tires well. I'm told modding the pump might quiet it down. Is this true?

14. backyardbuilt

No I didn't, but I had read that to get the air out of the system, to jack the truck up and turn the tires lock to lock 20 or so times. I did that and added fluid till full and no more noise.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    No I didn't, but I had read that to get the air out of the system, to jack the truck up and turn the tires lock to lock 20 or so times. I did that and added fluid till full and no more noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that when I first did it, I guess I still have air.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when street driveing a hydro assest truck dose the wheel spin back on its own after a trun or do you have to spin it???

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It spins back. Everything that happens with mechanical steering happens with hydro assist....you just have more steering pressure.

The 2" ram is definitely too big for the street though.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i found localy a 1.5x 8" ram for about 85 bucks and thats was the first place i looked so, i think its a nice inbetween. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, if my truck was my daily driver, I'd be re-evaluating what I want to use the truck for.

I survived a long time without it, and mine is a dedicated trail rig.

I guess the morale of the story is be careful...with enough modification your daily driver might become too capable and you'll take it somewhere you wish you wouldn't have. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

amen to that, i will be walking to work one day and have to tell my boss who already thinks its stupid and i am crazy that my truck is eather halfway down a moutan or sunken to the center of the earth in some bottomless mud hole /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    (he thinks it isent a hoby and hes the one with 15 gtos, at least i get to drive my hobbby /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif)