Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro assist without crossover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I saw somebody write that hydro without crossover is not a good idea. Is the issue that it is just not the best setup or can you break something or what exactly is the problem.
    I only run 35" tires and a 4" lift but I do wheel it pretty hard and since I am welded up front I would like my steering to have a little more power and also it would take the stress of the frame and other steering components.
    I can't afford a Dana 60 and since the Dana 44 is not any stronger than my current 10 bolt I would prefere to just do the hydro and not spend money on changing my 10 bolt out for a Dana 44 to just to do the crossover.:confused:

2. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why change out the whole 10b for a 44 to get crossover, when you can just throw the knuckles on you 10b? Thats what I am in the process of doing.:waytogo:

Z

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yes it works with stock steering....a friend did it on his 44,worked fine

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

trouble is, when your flexed and your steering is almost maxed out (but your steering wheel is almost 'straight ahead'), if you then turn your steering wheel the ram will try to turn the wheels when the box can't turn any more and booom!

Hope that makes sense!:D

5. southernspeed

This is what I did too. Easy job and MuddyTazz has blue prints for correct knuckle machining if you need them.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep the problem isn't lack of hydro it's the stock steering geometry. Put a ram on there and "force" it and bad things could happen. I asked this same post a couple years ago, and thats what I was told.

7. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Thank you, the explanation makes sense, I don't know how strong the ram actually is, I wonder if I put a small a 1.5" ram, would it be strong enough to break parts? I have no experience with Hydro and I thought since it is only assist maybe it would not be strong enough to actually break parts. In case something breaks what do you think would break?

8. southernspeed

I have a 1 1/2 inch ram and it's plenty strong enough to break lots! Most likely to break would be the sector shaft I reckon. Then probebly tearing the box off of your frame would be the next worry. Maybe rod ends?? I'd do the cross over and hydro together if I were you.
    Good luck.