Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Assist without Crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Anybody run Hydro assist with, more or less, the factory push pull set up?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Don't do it

The ram will be trying to steer left while your mechanical steering can't steer left (because you don't have crossover). Your steering will bind and you will rip the steering box off of the frame.

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Ouch!

4. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

I say try it! then again it's not my truck. Be sure to post before & after pics.

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

OK I talked to Matt at RedneckRam. He said it is possible to do this set up. crossover and Hydro assist are two different systems. The problem is if you do have a flexy suspension and you droop the front left tire and stand that short drag link on end (figuratively speaking) the ends will be the limiting factor in the suspension on that side of the truck. Thats some serious bind- IF YOU HAVE A DROOPY SUSPENSION. Then if you were to turn against the bound drag link ends they might wanna go POP! Since my plan is to go with 52 or 56" front springs I will need crossover. Matt said they do plenty of hydro assist set ups on non crossover trucks with out problems.

6. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Since you are running 1 tons, I don't see any harm going with hydro assist and crossover. You'll love it even more whether you decide to stay stock or go 52" or 56" springs in the future.