Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've done seaches on this just can't seem to find some answers.
    First off, can i tap my 4x4 box to run hydro lines.
    Second can i just put the ram right were the steering stab. is and just beef the brackets up. All of this is on a Dana 60.
    Anything comments will help, Thanks

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The short answers are yes and yes.

There a a couple of places to drill and tap the box. THe easiest way is to drill the sector shaft retaining plate on the top and then drill the big round end-cap. That is how i have mine done. I have heard people knock the method b/c it isn;t as stong as drilling into the cast iron box case but I have had it on for about 9months with out any problems.

In terms of mounting the ram, you can do it however you like as long as there are no interference issues and the ram gets the full rang of motion. Remember though, the closer the ram is monted toward the center of the axle, the more prone it is to being taken out by a rock. For this reason, mine is mounted the furthest to the drivers side I could to minimize possible damage and minimize the length of the hoses.

Chris

3. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks that helps alots.
    what kind of ram and mounting hardwear are you useing.Also anything else is greatly appr.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes. You can find a write up on how to do this... its been linked here and on pirate4x4.com several times. Don't have the link bookmarked myself, but someone else might.

The mount on the axle is fine, you don't need to beef it up. I've had my ram attached to it for years, no problems at all as far as strength goes. For the other end of the ram, just weld some tabs (www.aa-mfg.com) onto the tie rod and you're set, assuming your tie rod is relatively beefy. I wouldn't use a factory one with hydro. My rockstomper.com tie rod is 1.5" with a 5/16" wall thickness, quite a bit beefier than stock. My ram mounts with 1/2" grade 8 bolts and all-metal locking nuts. Never had a hardware problem.

j