Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Assist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NEK5, Jan 29, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok what exactly is hydro assist?? is it a replacement for steering stabilizers or can in be used with them??? would anyone recommend it for a blazer with 4 inch lifts and 33x14.5 mickeys but soon to be 12.5??
    i have dw

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Hydro assist is adding a hydraulic ram to your steering box, that connects from the front axle to the tie rod. It replaces the stabilizers. It is used to help out the guys who are running huge meats, like 37s and higher. It works by tappinginto your steering box with two lines, an input and an output. Those two lines run from the box to the hydro ram mounted between the tie rod and axle. When you turn the box, it sends fluid to the ram, which expands it, and "assits" the box in turning the front wheels.

I've thought about doing it, but I only run 35s and am not serious enough off road to need it. I don't think you'll need it with 33's and a healthy steering system.

Al

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok thanks for the input!