Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro assist

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by crwln73, Jul 8, 2003.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Hey Stephen when running an assist set up.Is it better to run the ram to the same side as the drag link or to the oppisite side.Im thinking of using a double ended steering arm to go behind the diff with the ram.I need a price on a arm and a tie rod.(hopefully something stronger than 1.0625 cold rolled that I have now.)Trying to solve my steering problem just ripped the box off the frame this last weekend.Thats after bending the rod at Blazerfest.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

And so it begins /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

decided against the full hydro Ken?

I almost got a tow rig today, but decided it would be better to save the $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

I almost got a tow rig today, but decided it would be better to save the $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

..... and so it begins! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

"Well that dont look right" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This one requires a bit of figuring, the tierod material we run is set up for the 7/8" stock type TRE thread and won't cut down to 3/4-16 for a heim, so we'll have to run some kind of insert, which really isn't a problem, just not standard. For material, I'm thinking 1.5"x.250 wall should do it, mine's 1.5x.188 wall but it's not as far back. 1.5"OD provides a lot of strength in buckling so it doesn't take much wall thickness.
    For the arm, we haven't done any double ended parts yet, I assume you're looking for the left side since it would be kind of hard to tie in on the right hand side.
    If you don't tell anybody (ha ha ha as I put it on a public forum), you can probably weld an extension on your existing arm, that's what I did with no problems. yet You definitely want to know your way around the welding machine but it's not a huge deal to do what I did. There's a decent pic on the TTC buildup page on our site.

6. Stephen

This one requires a bit of figuring, the tierod material we run is set up for the 7/8" stock type TRE thread and won't cut down to 3/4-16 for a heim, so we'll have to run some kind of insert, which really isn't a problem, just not standard. For material, I'm thinking 1.5"x.250 wall should do it, mine's 1.5x.188 wall but it's not as far back. 1.5"OD provides a lot of strength in buckling so it doesn't take much wall thickness.
    For the arm, we haven't done any double ended parts yet, I assume you're looking for the left side since it would be kind of hard to tie in on the right hand side.
    If you don't tell anybody (ha ha ha as I put it on a public forum), you can probably weld an extension on your existing arm, that's what I did with no problems. yet You definitely want to know your way around the welding machine but it's not a huge deal to do what I did. There's a decent pic on the TTC buildup page on our site.
    It looks like you're definitely in need of the assist. That pic looks like the frame is still OK, just broken bolts and box. At that point, it's time to add force somewhere else.

7. Stephen

For the arm, we haven't done any double ended parts yet, I assume you're looking for the left side since it would be kind of hard to tie in on the right hand side. I don't think it matters which side you put the draglink and ram on, if a tire has is bound up enough to break the knuckle, the tie rod will transmit the torque required as easily as the ram or draglink will supply that torque directly.
    It looks like you're definitely in need of the assist. That pic looks like the frame is still OK, just broken bolts and box. At that point, it's time to add force somewhere else.

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.