Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro boost and hydraulic steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 20, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

What would i have to do to run hydroboost and hydraulic steering. i am probably getting my system off a 2 or 2 1/2 ton chevy. its ps pump is much larger and looks loike it would bolt up no prob. will this run both without a problem?can i have the best of both worlds?

What i am trying to find out is can i turn while hitting the brakes and not loose breaks or steering? i might have to increase the fluid level with a reservoir or something of the nature like in the write uo by steve.

thanks

nathan

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The hydrabooster has a reservoir which will provide about three pedals worth of brakes after the system is shut down. I have felt my power steering jolt when turning the wheel and slamming the brakes. Light braking doesn't have any of an effect so I imagine the ram would be similar.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got hydro-boost and hydro-assist steering with a 2" ram. Right now, I have trouble turning fast at idle with no brakes. With the brakes, forget it. At idle, I can either have brakes, OR I can turn, but not both, PICK ONE! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif To do both with any degree of authority, I have to bring the rpms up to around 1000+, which is fun staring over a 100'+ drop off, off camber, and nose down in gear! I also have the biggest (AFAIK) ps pump with 2 return lines and all that. I'm planning on going to a smaller pulley (to effectively increase box rpms) and maybe a smaller ram soon. We will see...

4. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

problem solved my friend and i just put 2 p/s pumps on his 70 k 10. lots of custom brackets and hoses. And one big resivor.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

So, you mounted 2 remote reservoir ps pumps with one large remote. Cool idea! All the flow you could want and the relief valve keeps the pressure correct. Plus, redundant systems. Why is it that some times the simplest solutions evade me?

Then, of course, comes the required question... Got pics? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics? that thought popped in my head last night after i saw baddogs reply. i just \hadnt decide whether to mount both on one side or on oppisite sides.

thanks

nathan

7. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

whelllllll I will post pics after X-mas if I get a camara.