Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro Boost Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by californiak5, Aug 8, 2001.

1. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I have a complete Hydro Boost system out of a 1988 Chevy 1 ton 6.2 diesel. Is this pretty easy to swap into a 1970 K5 that has the normal power brake (vacuum) system?

If it's not that hard I will probably do it when I do my rear disc brakes. That way I don't have to bleed the system twice. Thanks in advance.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's "complete" it should be a bolt in installation. Remove the existing setup and replace with the new setup. I don't know about the portion that mounts to the firewall, I would assume they use the same holes (assuming you already have normal power steering). If you have manual steering now, the holes for the booster support will have to be marked and drilled.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Hey Keith,

I've done a couple of these conversions now, and have found them to be very easy if you have the complete system.

Some things to look out for:
    1. You need the brake pedal assembly from the donor vehicle. The mounting point for the HydroBoost unit rod is at a different location on the pedal assy. Also, because of the different mounting point, the bracket for your brakelight switch is different. If you can, get the whole pedal assy.

2. If you can, you will probably want to get the pump reservoir to go with the system. This isn't totally necessary, as the only difference is that the later model HydroBoost reservoirs had 2 return line tubes. I like these better, just for a cleaner looking installation. You can use the regular single return line unit, but you will need a junction (tee) block to join the return lines from the steering box and the HydroBoost unit.

3. I'm not sure about the mounting on the 1970 trucks, but the '73 and up trucks have the same mounting pattern (six studs protruding from the firewall). All the HydroBoost units I have seen have 4 holes with 2 studs. I just pounded out the studs with a BFH so that I could use all 6 of the studs on the firewall. Just found it easier to remove the studs from the booster than from the firewall.

4. Last, I would strongly recommend the use of a power steering cooler, since your P/S fluid is now doing double duty.

If you do the swap, you will be very pleased. I have found that the disc brake conversion helped with braking performance, but the HydroBoost is what really made the big difference.

Hope this helps. Just let me know if you need part numbers or any other info.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

4. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Rob,

That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you soo much. I have the donor vehicle sitting in my driveway still, so getting the pedal assembly won't be a problem. Thanks again for the info. I had heard that it is worth the swap, but I did not know anyone who had actually done it. Now I know that I am going to do this [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Glad I could help. [​IMG][​IMG]

Let me know if any other ??? come up.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>