Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro-Boost ? (I have searched)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 30, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just picked up a Hydroboost set up from a 3/4 ton Suburban from my local Ecology Autoparts and my question is should this be a direct bolt on to my K5 with 350 and is the 3/4 ton master cylinder adequate or do I need to buy a 1 ton master cylinder. I will be installing D60/14ff with large drum. I will go with rear disc in the future.

Thanks

Ira

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

There is a change in the fittings between the years. It will bolt up but the Hydro lines are the issue. I do not remember the dates off hand. What years are your engine and hydrobooster?

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My hydroboost as well as my steering box both have O-ring hoses. I was more curious about the Booster rod and if the mastere cylinder was adequate.

Ira

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

did you read the write up Cam did in the tech section?

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I believe 1981 is when they started using o-rings. Make sure you get the pedal and pushrod assembly, they are different than the vacuum setups. If your pushrod length is too long, your brakes will drag, too short = low pedal feel...

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is one thing that confuses me some say you have to change the pedal and others have said that theres was a direct swap. I did read that write up and it seemed very convoluted. It seemed like a lot of words were used for transmit little information.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

When I swapped mine I used everything from the pedal to the pump from the donor truck. I compared the pedals, and the pivot point is different, and the pedal has a bigger stud for the rod end to attach to. If I had used my original pedal the rod would have had some play, and been angled a small bit going towards the master cylinder.

The whole affair does bolt in very easily. I got new hoses, master cylinder and pump, and everything works like a champ. Best brakes I've ever had. The system is sensitive to rod length, do a search a pirate board to see how some people have had to work to nake an adjustable rod to get it to work...

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What is the rod they are talking about. Is it the one that the pedal attaches to or is it the one between the booster and the master cylinder.

Ira

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The pedal attaches to the rod and goes to the master cylinder.

10. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

DAMN!! i didnt grab the brake pedal from the donor!

is the whole pedal assembly that bolts in different or just the pedal arm itself??
    IE in theory just snag the pedal from a Hydro vehicle and swap it into my pedal assembly? (i would look for the correct pedal assembly at the junkyard, but i have yet to see a truck with hydro and a manual tranny).

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I just bolted the booster and master on in mine. Never changed the pedals and I have no issues. FYI, mine came out of a 79 1ton, all the PS fittings were oring.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am going to put mine in and try it out if I need to get a new pedal I will head back to the yard and pick one up. Is it possible to redrill the pedal that I have or is that not the issue boy am I confused. :doah:

Ira

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Give it a try. Its hard to describe without pics...

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I installed mine without swapping pedals. The donor truck was a 89 Chevy R/V series 1 ton and the receiver was a 84 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd. I had to press the middle two studs out of the hydroboost unit cause all 6 were on the firewall on the receiver truck. The middle bolts are really hard to get to and I couldnt get them really tite but they arent that bad. Just use the master cylinder that came with the booster, its easier that way and will work better.

15. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

not meaning to be a thread stealer, but those with hydroboost, how do you like it compared to non hydro brakes?

16. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I will let you know as soon as I get it on. It can't be any worse then what I have now.

Ira