Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro boost is leaking???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have installed a hydroboost brake booster on my 84 shortbox off of an 85 3/4ton diesel it was sitting in the shop for about 6months before i got around to installing it, but after i installed it on my truck and bleed the brakes it is leaking from where the rod goes thru the firewall from the brake pedal. i have not driven it or put any power steering fluid in it yet its just a small puddle on my floormat after 3days of sitting, is this something i should worry about? or do you think the seals are just a little dry? are there any quick fixes that i can do to stop the leak?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes the seal is leaking...
    theres new ones for sale on ebay right now for 125.. and thats cheap....

I have never had great luck rebuilding them for some reason...

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Make sure its the seal leaking and not a loose line. When I first installed mine I had to snug the lines a couple of times before the leaks stopped. If it is the seal, I would look at buying a reman boost unit and use yours as the core.

A quick look at Autozone produced this:
    CARDONE BRAKE POWER BOOSTER for a 1985 CHEVROLET TRUCK K20 3/4 TON P/U 4WD

Unit Price: $119.99
    Core Value*: $70.00
    Part No.: 52-7248
    Weight: 23.2 lbs.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Normally I'd say be safe and replace it. I had the same leak. it was small and I just dragged my tail about replacing the unit. The leak stopped. It's been 2 years now, the truck is driven daily and it's fine. The truck had sat for a while before the leak started, so, maybe the seals do dry out. You'll know pretty quick once you start driving it.

Just a side note here. You don't ever want to run dry on power steering fluid. A side from the damage you'll do to the pump, your truck won't stop either. Hydroboost isn't like vac. assisit where you still have manual brakes if the unit dies. It'll slow down when you hit the peddle, but you better have a whole lot of room in front of you.

Eric M.

5. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem on my 92 1-ton, when I was working on some wireing I saw a little dribble of power steering fluid on the firewall, I think that I am going to save up and replace it.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I looked into rebuilding mine, and found it easier to replace it :o