Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro boost pump ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Apr 3, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok ifi was to put hydro voost in my truck do i need to get a hydroboost pump too? or is the line set just different???

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The hydro boost pump puts out 300 PSI more than non-hydro boost pumps. It is the same PSI (1500) as all AGR pumps. There is a modification you can do to the pump to increase the pressure (much higher ... so be careful!)

Read this:

PS Pump Mods

If you try the mod, tell me how it works. I've been thinking of tring it on my Hydro boost pumps to get the steering wheel to move a little easier with big tires.

Also, the hydro boost pump housing is a little different. It has a larger capacity and 2 return inlets. Some say you can "T" off the return. I've always wondered if that creats a bottleneck at the one return inlet. AGR offers a way to extend the top of regular PS pump housings to increase capacity. It is part of their Rock Ram kit, but I'm sure you could order it as a replacement part. Or, just take the pump from the donner vehicle where you're getting the Hydro boost unit.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thanks eric exactly what i wanted to know!!:grin::grin:

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Every now and then, I get it right!

Glad I could help.

Eric M.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

After I swapped the 6.2 for a 350 I ran a standard p/s pump with the return lines teed. I never had any problems with it setup like this. The only thing I did notice occasionally was that at a stop or slow speeds - like entering and exiting a perpendicular parking space - I could turn the wheel fast enough that there seemed to be a "lag" in the power steering assist.

I'm the paranoid type so I eventually swapped in a hydroboost pump to work with the serpentine belt setup I also added. With the 37s it doesn't seem to have any problems turning the tires at a dead stop. Haven't really trail tested the 37s yet though.