Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro boost Q...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Oct 30, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My hydro boost pump howls like it's low on fluid over a 10 mile trip. The issue started while wheeling Gold Bar Rim in Moab and when we checked it the fluid level was right up where it should be but the fluid was quite foamy.

The resevoir seemed quite warm too, and I figured it was just working extra hard on the slow tight parts of the trail, especially sitting in one spot for a while holding the brakes...problem is now it takes a short drive to work for it to start doing that again.

I'm considering adding a good sized auto tranny cooler to the circuit and seeing what happens, but I'm kind of concerned the pump itself is on the outs. I just replaced it with a remanned unit 6 or 7 months ago and it has no more than 4000 miles on it.

Is this a sign it's dying or would additional cooling and capacity likely cure the problem?

Rene

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Change the fluid and run a cooler. Mine used to get so hot i would have no power asssist and i am yet to have a problem since i added a cooler.

3. tRustyK5

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. I'll change fluid and add a tranny cooler or something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When they foam they are not pumping as well and not lubricating as well, it's basically like running it dry. If it has already started howling it's pretty much on it's way to death...

How does your steering feel?

Wait, you talking about pump or the booster itself?

5. tRustyK5

Talking about the pump itself, still steers and brakes fine although I can feel a slight change as it gets louder.

I think I got it plenty hot in Moab trying to steer the 40's in the rocks...apparently stock steering parts aren't really made for that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'll add the cooler and see what happens. If it is fubar I might look into an aftermarket pump from Howe or something so i can eventually run hydro steer and still have plenty of flow.

Rene

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, my Howe parts are coming in a week or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif