Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro-boost Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Sep 26, 2005.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

First off, I have heard nothing but wonderful things on the hydroboost conversion, so I said to myself, "self, we are going to try this."

So here is what I have. I pulled a hydro-boost unit from a 85 one ton. I have stock brakes on my 84, and soon I will go to rear disc conversion.

So here is what I need. I need to know if the MC is a good one to use, should I expect any problems, where can I get a rebuild kit and a power steering pump, will it work with my current brakes and future 4wdb?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When i swapped the 6.2 diesel into my truck I also swapped the Hydro-boost. The 1/2 ton MC did not fit the hydro-boost unit I got from a one ton...so I swapped the MC as well. Also installed the rear disc brakes while I was at it. I have great pedal feel and the truck stops quickly and easily without early lock-up in the rear. i can threshold brake quite easily.

For the pump, ask for a pump from a K30 with a small block.

Rene

3. neverendingproject

I got the whole HB unit from the truck, lines and everything. Where do i get a new pump? I would like to not go through the stealership.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The only difference in the pump is the canister... it has one extra return line fitting. You can get one at a wrecking yard.

OTOH, if you can braze or weld, you could add the extra fitting yourself. ;)

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's wierd, stop it. :D

6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

yep found that out after spending $90 for one at Autozone.

my billet pulleys require a keyed shaft, so i was just going to swap the reso's, need to head back to the PnP to get a $10 reso and return the $90 pump.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

search the forum... youll find my post "finally better brakes for the v3500"... then go to the tech section and look for the post "why hydroboost brakes" ... between the two it should answer all your questions

cam

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would get a pump made for a hydroboost system. I was running a regular pump for a while and I found that I could turn the wheel faster than the power steering could keep up, especially with brakes applied. When I went back to a hydroboost pump that went away.

Like Rene said, get a pump for a C30 or K30 with hydroboost. If you need serpentine just specify a 1990. That's is what I'm running.

Also another note of experience. I've decided that from now one I'm getting my pumps new from the dealer. Yeah it's more money, but I lost a pump that was less than a year old on the trail. No power brakes or steering sucks. The pump was a reman from Carquest. The shaft pulled right out the front of the pump. In the future I'll spend the extra money for a new unit that won't require trail side repair and my wife running all over the mountains to find a store with a pump in stock.

9. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

my advice is to replace all the lines going to and from it. Ive had issues with the stock ones cracking and making me loose fuild out on the trail.

10. dodgedude99

i just checked, for an 84 k5 and k30, partsamerica.com list the same pump part #, only # thats different is if you get the reso with it or not.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That was what I had found out initially also, because I was using PartsAmerica.com too. I'm pretty sure that Carquest had different part numbers, but that could be because I ordered it with the reservior.:dunno: I think if you read one of the posts camsk5 referenced, it says that the hydroboost pump runs at a higher pressure. I know it made a difference for me.

12. dodgedude99

i know Autozone as well gave me the same number for my 88 k5 as for an 88 k30 for just the pump.

13. neverendingproject

Okay so I found a hydro boost power steering pump at my uncles junkyard, but it came off a diesel.

My question is whether or not the mounting holes for the diesel p/s pump are the same for the sbc. I am also curious to see if anyone has rebuilt a pump or booster themselves, and how hard it is.

Thanks

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just a thought; but you could always just change the relief valve at the back of the pump (the one behind the high pressure hose). I would bet that the only real difference between Hydraboost steering pumps and just steering pumps.

15. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bingo!

Just modify or replace that regulator, and either install a second return line, or I have seen in several instances where you can use a T fitting where one branch goes to the hydro-boost, the other to the steering box, and the third back to the pump.

I'll be doing this swap pretty quick myself, I just traded a 14 bolt for a complete hydroboost setup less the pump :)

16. neverendingproject

But will this other pump work?

17. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd imagine it will fit, but if it doesn't, it should be easy enough to swap the pump's brackets around with your existing one.