Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro-boost question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Jun 30, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Today, I was scrounging in a local junkyard and found a Diesel 3/4 T Burb w/ a primo Hydro-boost. Anyone successfully transplant this set-up where a vacuum booster used to be? Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Ron

PS I also scored an almost new Mico line lock for less than $10!

2. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I've done this, on my Suburban and on a friend's K5 Jimmy. Did it first on the Jimmy, after doing the ORU rear disc brake conversion to the 14B rear axle. We found that the disc brake setup helped, but the addition of the hyrdro-boost was a way more dramatic improvement to stopping power.

Really a very simple swap, if you find a donor vehicle. Some things to look out for: Make sure you get the brake pedal assembly from the donor. The pin on the pedal is located differently from the vacuum boost setup. Your donor vehicle will have either a junction block for the return lines from the steering box and the hydro-boost unit, or a power steering reservoir with two return tubes. Make sure you get the hoses and junction block (or the reservoir) to simplify hookups.

I also suggest a power steering cooler if you run the hydro-boost, as your p/s fluid is now doing double duty for steering and braking.

Overall, well worth the effort, IMO. Especially if you are running large wheels/tires. Good luck, and let me know if you need more info.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>