Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro boost return line?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2000
    Hey guys!

I've got a question about my truck's hydroboost return line.

I don't currently have a hydroboost power steering pump, so I need to put a 'T' in line with the steering box return. Is there any disadvantages to doing so?

My truck has stock steering, and stock hydroboost, nothing else off the steering pump. Will I have any slowdown of steering while I am on the brakes or anything like that?
  2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Oct 6, 2002
    As far as putting a tee in the return line, that's probably perfectly fine, as I have seen some stock stups at the junkyard plumbed just like that.

I don't think that braking will affact your power steering.
  3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Jul 3, 2003
    I tried the tee method and the brakes dragged. I put the hydroboost return line in the fill hole of the pump, [ as a diagnostic/temporary fix ], and the drag went away. This was with a 3/8ths tee so it did not work for me, but someone on here [ mouse I think ] uses a tee with no problems. So its a gamble. If your pump is already off, I would try to braze or some how add another inlet, otherwise use the least restrictive tee you can find, and dont try the volume/pressure mods.
    Good luck