Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro boost ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Mar 10, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hydro boost ?\'s

I might be converting to hydro boost brakes. Also planning on hydro assist steering. The big ? is will the stock power steering pump be ok? I don't want to get an AGR pump since most people have had nothing but problems with AGR stuff but wondering what to do if the pump won't handle it.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: Hydro boost ?\'s

Also wondering if the stock Hydro boost power steering pump will fit on an 89? The hydro pump has 3 lines connected to it and I would imagine they might flow more then a stock pump.

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Wayne, how has it been. You know I already did the hydro boost and all went well. DO CHANGE OUT THE BRAKE PEDAL OR RE-DRILL YOURS for proper piston rod travel without any kinks? (Tried to use my stock, but changed later). I am doing the hydro assist now. No problem tapping box and welding, I used AC/DC stick welder, with eletrode AL-43, and set at 90 amps. Used a 3/8" bung on outside of end cap and tap all of it for 3/8" NPT. Worked out well. Now as far as the ram goes, I went with a Chief weleded cylinder from Northern. Don't buy the one I did, as the ports were not in-line with clevis. You need that in order to have good clearance for fittings between axles and tie rod. I went with 90 degree elbows and mod'd the cylinder. It worked, but in-line ports would have saved time and trouble. The clevis's are also 1" which is big. I now know Chief and/or Columbus makes a 1.5" bore/ 8" stroke with 3/4" clevis w/ in-line port, working pressure 2500 psi, for 49.00 and would be great cylinder. The hoses I got from Northern and are 48" w/ 3/8 NPT (good lenght, but could get away with 36"). Also, don't forget to get some swivel fittings so hose can be tightened. Now to the tie rod. I was looking at making my own 1.5" sleved tie rod, but after buying the Mogue ends (115) NAPA, and the time and steel involved, the ROCKSTOMPER is probably cheaper and easier. I am returning the ends I bought and ordering rod from Rockstomper on Monday. Oh yea, hope you have a pulley puller for the PS pump. I didn't and was totally PO'd about it. 55 later and a KD set I got the thing off. I still have to get the new pump (AUTOZONE - forever warrarntee) and mod it, but no problem. WHile I was doing all this I modified my resevoir and made it larger with new tube extension (about 7 inches higher) and I added a second return port into the back (so I don't have to have a T in the return lines). I was going to take pics and do a write up, but it takes a lot of time I don't have to slow down on. I respect the guys who mod'd and did write ups to help others. Oh, I also reinforced frame with repair bracket, and 1/4 steel on inside of frame rail. All in all a lot of work. I also cut my dang hard brake line while reinforcing frame, so have to bend some new line today, real fun. LOL. And if you have any step questions drop me a line. I left out welding tabs onto axle and tie rods as they should be standard affair (key word "should be") - LOL

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The only diff I know of for sure is that the HB pumps have 2 return lines. Don't know if there are any internal differences.

As for the PS pulley puller, Harbor Freight lists one for $10 (puller and installer). I went to the local HF, and they didn't have that one, but they did have a bigger kit for $20, that included studs for installing pulleys on lots of other stuff. This was the first time I've ever used a real pulley installer, and it is tons better than using the bolt/washer/nut that comes with a reman pump.

Pete

5. TheGeneral

Yea, I got you on the 2 return lines in the back of the resevoir, but I didn't think the pump has any differences?

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok. I am going to get the Hydro Assist set up from Rockstomper. I already ordered everything for the crossover from Scott and that should be here this week. So I gather from what you are saying the Hydro Boost pump will fit my 89 as long as I change the pulley?

7. TheGeneral

Not sure what your talking about on changing pulley. If you are putting in different resevoir and pump from older truck then yes, change pulley. If you are just putting in a new pump, you will still have to take off pulley. Either way, use pulley is coming off and going back on. Take care.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the surp. belt system and the Hydro is from a v belt system so I would have to change the pulley to use the hydro pump on mine.

9. TheGeneral

Yea, I got yea, but I don't think the pump is any different, just the resevoir (2 return lines), and I don't think the resevoir will mount back up into your bracket for the 89. I did the exact same swamp, and just swamped in new pump in my resevoir, then T'd the return line. Now, I am redoing resevoir and making two return line ports and extended filler tube for extra fluid. I'll send you pics when I am done. THinking about brazing the extension in instead of welding, the metal is so dam thin on the resevoir.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would like to see pics. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was talking to a guy on PBB and, more recently, to Matt at West Texas. Both said the pumps are the same, only the housing AND releif valve are different. I’m ditching my leaky HB pump (housing) for an extra regular pump I have laying around. I’ll just swith the valve and “T” the line

12. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

How does a single powersteering pump handle running the Hydroboost, steering box, and rock ram? Do you think it is in my best interest to run an additional PS pump for the brakes?
    I'm just worried one pump won't be able to supply enough volume for the three items.
    Thanks,
    Mike

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That is my ? too. I am thinking a cooler might help some but that is a lot to ask of a stock pump.

14. TheGeneral

The way I understand the system of going from pump to hydro boost to steering box to ram is that the pressure is consistant throughout the loop due to constant movement of fluid. The only thing to look at would be the max required pressure and residual loss through the loop. I think the ram requires the most and that is third on the loop, so best to experiment with pressures via WestTexas write up on mod'ing the pump. The good news is you can do that with pump already mounted and do it step by step in increasing the pressure. Should be interesting to see if my hydro boost benefits from pressure or there the valve is a blow by valve, so no increase even with extra pressure. I'll post pics and info as I get this done. Hoping to have done by next weekend. Waiting for Rockstomper rod.

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

While I don't have the rock ram, I do have the hydro boost, stock pump and power steering. I have noticed that a slam of the brakes while turning the wheel will jar the wheel for a moment but I've never had the wheel effect the brakes due to the pressure reservoir which is part of the hydrabooster (about 3 pumps extra after pump is off).

16. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey does it help anything on a non hydroboost pump to put an additional return line to the pump?Ive got the hydro-steer setup and I did the westtexasoffroad mods to the pump and sometimes it feels like my steering response is slow.Like the fluid cant travel the whole loop fast enough to keep up with my gear box.PLus it handles strange on the street at highway speeds,any little movement of the steering wheel and the truck swerves like i was drunk,Almost too touchy.But what do you think about adding an extra return line to my stock pump?

17. TheGeneral

not sure about an extra return line. If you don't have a second return from booster, I wouldn't think you would need one. Anyway, I wouldn't think it would help. I would experiment with the mods on your pump to increase pressure and low rpm performance as indicated in the WTO tech article. You are a step ahead of me on the hyro steer, so I'll let you know when she gets moving.

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was also reading a post on the ORD board about overheating and that is also a concern with this much rumming off the pump. How do you adjust the pressure on the stock pump?

19. TheGeneral

Go to WestTexasoffroad.com and look at tech section. You and I both have 89's, I'll let you know how much I had to mod pump. Just got the mounts welded on tonight. Probably overkill, but what the heck.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Joal, I think one of these weekends I am just going to have to come down to NC and check your truck out in person. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Keep me updated on the pump mods and such.