Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro boost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Oct 2, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 first gen k5 with drums all the way around. I am gonna upgrade too disc breaks from a 1/2 ton hopefully very soon. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was tossing around the idea of putting in a hydroboost instead of a one ton booster and master. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif my truck still has the 6 lug dana 44 under th front. Does anyone know how this system works and on what i could get a donor system from. Or is this more trouble than its worth. And why does it have power steering fluid in it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    nathan

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I made the switch to hydraboost from an early 80's diesel. It was a bolt in swap using the same master cylender but the hydrabooster needed to have 2 studs pressed (hammered) out to match the 6 studs already on the firewall. Works great, especially with the one ton running gear and rear disks. My system has a new high pressure line going from the stock power steering pump to the hydrabooster, then the stock high pressure line running from the hydrobooster down to the steering box. Both the hydrabooster and the steering box have low pressure lines run to a "T" which then returns to the power steering pump.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

So pretty much all you had to do was put a t in your normal two lines and knock out those two studs? that sounds pretty easy. i was kinda worried about linkage and stuff. but if it bolts in thats great!

thanks

nathan

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mine was exceptionally easy because of the loop through high pressure line, they are not all like that. Some require a special power steering pump with two high pressure fittings so be carefull which one you get. Also make sure that the hose fittings match what you have now as there are two different types on the GM. Another thing to watch out for is for those pumps with flush mounting surfaces for the master cylender, some require a recessed mating surface. The last thing little gotcha is in the pedal to hydraboost connection, it may fit a little loose and need to be shimmed as the hole in the hydraboost piston is a little larger than the vacuum booster was. I never shimmed mine and have since forgotton it was loose, the play is for the most part negligabe.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

So how do i know which kind of pump i have? i have the original for my 69 so its probably the wrong one.

thanks

nathan

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If your using the stock pump like I am, you'll have 1 high pressure out and 1 low pressure return line in. Your steering box will be the same. When you look for a hydrabooster, make sure you get one compatible with your current gear (there were factory setups that were compatible) and not one that needs the special pump and steering box as many were equipped with as well.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Ok cool. As soon as this hurricane passes i'll go hit the junkyards and see what i can find.

thanks for all the help

nathan

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ttt