Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wvk5crawler, Mar 19, 2005.

1. wvk5crawler

wvk5crawler Newbie

I have a 1 ton parts truck, whos braking system is different than any truck I have seen. No break booster. My buddy told me that it was hydro, and I was wondering if it is worth putting it on the blazer?

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of posts about that type of brakes. Looks like they are powerful.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i love hydro boost setups much more pedal feal for me. and motor can be radical and no vac on bottemend and still power brakes. easy to switch also . just remove power bosster and master and the 2 studs from fire wall bracket in cab . then bolt up hydro and use hydro pump with hoses and blead both systems and then done. but only do this from 1 ton truck if you have 3/4 or 1 ton axles in yours or the master might be to big for the 1/2 ton needs.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

go to my post in the tech section....

"why hydroboost brakes for our k trucks"

Its a reprint of the JIML's brake paper and suit against gm..... I think you will find it very informative

cam

5. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

hydroboost.....yeck

I had hydroboost in my k30 and I had grief with it a few times.I blew a powersteering hose and besides losing my power steering I had pretty much no brakes.Another time I was sitting in my truck on a hill with the engine idling and the tranny in neutral while talking to a buddy that was standing next to my drivers door.I had my foot on the brake and I could feel it gradually getting closer to the floor.Then all of a sudden no brakes!!!You should have seen the look on my buddies face when in mid sentence me and the truck started forking off backwards down the hill!Jammed `er in gear and shut the engine off.The truck stopped pretty fast but I had to restart it and rev it up quite a bit to get any braking power back.
    Another time I was just pulling in to my driveway and something let go in the master cylinder.No brakes again.Luckily I wasn`t going very fast and my wifes car was there to stop the truck:o :mad: To be fair though that could have happened even if it was regular power brakes.
    Another time the seal on the power steering pump started to leak.I went to the wrecking yards to get another one but couldn`t find one for a hydro boost system.I started pricing a new one and I forget off hand what the price was but it was outrages(a few hundred bucks without the reservoir).I finally ended up putting a regular powersteering pump into the hydroboost reservoir and it worked as well as the original pump.I still don`t understand why the huge price difference between a powersteering pump for hydroboost and a pump for a regular p.s p.b system.
    I wouldn`t even consider keeping hydroboost on another truck !!!