Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro clutch bleeding...??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Dec 17, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay this isnt on a K5...rather an 84 S-10, but I figured I'd get quicker/more response here. Went to bleed the clutch after the swap and nothin! NO Pressure on the pedal after SEVERAL pumps.? It worked in the other truck fine. Could barely get a few drops to come out of the bleeder. Is there a trick? Engine was off...resevoir full...any ideas? Never bled one before, but seems it should be the same as brakes...right??

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Try and let it gravity bleed first then pump it. If that dosn't work you may need to use a hand held vacume pump.

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It took me and my dad about 3 hours of trying to bleed my K5 just keep bleeding your gonna be doing it for awhile.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

gravity bleed?

Like a vacuum pump fron Pepgirls or autobone?

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

THREE HOURS??!?!??!? Holy crap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    There is just no pressure on the pedal, but the pedal does pop back up like its supposed to. But no force is hardly needed to push it down.

Hmm.....wonder if it would be better to just go buy that pump and save 3 hours /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What do those pumps cost? You talkin like the same one you use for brakes right? Like the Mity Vac or whatever they call it?
    Thanks/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah thats what mine sounded like for those 3 hours and on the 2nd hour I started to get some kinda pressure and finally got what I needed a short bit later. Just keep going a easier way would be power or handheld bleeder...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine took all of about 5 minutes. Fill the upper reservoir, crack the bleeder, let it run until the master is close to empty. Close bleeder, try. That's gravity bleeding.

One variation to that is to remove the slave cylinder, so you can get the bleeder at the "top", so the air rises as it fills with fluid, and the bleeder is the highest point. Once fluid spills out (continuously, no bubbles), close the bleeder and it should be good.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

expalin what the slave cylinder is please /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Never messed with a hydraulic clutch...so this is kinda new/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    One variation to that is to remove the slave cylinder, so you can get the bleeder at the "top", so the air rises as it fills with fluid, and the bleeder is the highest point.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the top/highest point of what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Slave cylinder is what pushes on the clutch fork. (under the truck, bolted to the bellhousing)

The bleeder on the C/K trucks is mounted vertically, so it's hard to get to. Also, since the cylinder sits horizontal, it can be hard to get the fluid to displace all the air. (if you need to imagine what a slave cylinder looks like, lay a plastic bottle on it's side, with some air in it. The purpose of bleeding is to remove all that air, and fill it with liquid)

So, since the bleeder is towards the "front"(of the vehicle) if you were to unbolt the slave cylinder, and turn the slave cylinder vertical with the bleeder at the top, when it fills with fluid (the line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder will be at the bottom now IIRC), there is very little space for air "before" the bleeder. As liquid fills the slave from the "bottom" of the cylinder, the fluid will rise towards the bleeder, and all the air will be forced out the bleeder, which is evidenced by fluid coming out, which is when you shut the bleeder. This is why you can't let the master cylinder run dry when bleeding, or air gets back into the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. Brakes work the same way.

Make sense now?

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Makes perfect sense...I understand about bleeding and all and how it works...just wasnt familiar with what parts were what exactly on the hydro clutch/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks for the info/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Sounds like unbolting it and turning it vertically would make it much easier...cause yeah, its tight up there the way it sits now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif