Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro clutch choices

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Dec 16, 2004.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

hey! got a couple questions! i am working on a 85 chevy with a th350-np208. the tranny is broken so has to be replaced. rather than staying with a slip yoke i want to replace auto with 465/205 from a 1971 chevy. i have the 1st gen cast bellhousing, but i want to convert to hydro clutch setup. you guys have mentioned chevy went to that in 85? would it be easier to find a junker with hydro parts and steal the pedals bellhousing slave etc...... or go with a hydro throwout bearing and retain the old cast bellhousing? any easy sources for the complete swap or do i have to scrounge? thanks

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

if you cant find an entire truck to scavange the parts off of you can get everything you need from the GM dealer except the bellhousing and the pedal assembly.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

I FIX! :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally would stay away from hydraulic throwout bearings.

Some are probably good, I've seen nothing but problems with them.

I'd keep my eyes peeled for a hydraulic clutch truck, just going to be cheaper to get all the parts from one of those. Probably end up with a tranny too, but the forks at least will probably be in better shape. :)

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I converted my 72 to hydro using Advance Adpter's slave cylinder mounting bracket. This allowed me to keep my cast bell. I then bought a master cylinder for like a '87 and the hose is from Earls. I did have to fab a bracket for the Master's resavior but that was perrty easy. Oh and the pedals I just drilled a hole in my stock pedal for the master's rod to bolt to. Getting that in the right spot took some guess work and a little luck but I think I got it in the right spot now.

I haven't fired up my 454 yet so I haven't got to test this setup yet. But that mounting bracket from AA saved me from ditching the strong cast iron and going with the cast aluminum housing.
    Oh one more thing the AA bracket is designed to use a Toyota LandCruzer slave. I guess the market for Chevy engine & tranny swaps into Toyotas is popular.

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

do u know the part number for the bracket or have a link?

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Here is there website

http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html

I don't have the part # with me at work, I was suppose to get the number and post it up but I have yet to remember to do that.:o
    Give them a call if you need it right away or look at their site. It's basically a slave cylinder bracket for Toyota L/C on a SM465 Bellhousing for a SBC/BBC. IT was like 35 bucks +-
    Burt

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status