Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hydro clutch location.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Jul 31, 2005.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

im puttin a hydro clutch in my 87 suburban, and it came with an automatic. i heard that the part tht goes thrue the firewall has to be in the perfect spot so the rod is traight. i remember a diagram going around a while ago that showed were to drill the holes. does anyone still have that? i want to make sure i put it in the right spot the first time. thanks.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

here is the measurements that i took from a factory hydro truck and put them on my 83 (factory linkage) and has been working just fine for just over 6 months.

[​IMG]

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

This will help too..
    [​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All the 85 and up CK trucks came with the hydro clutch holes already dimpled in the floor/firewall. If you pull the carpet and stuff you should see them.

Rene

5. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

wow, thanks for the qick replies. so your saying, there is dimples in there, and i can just drill them out?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes they will be there.

I'm fairly certain you can do it from the engine side.

7. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i ran outside for a quick look, and did not see any dimples. does anyone have a pic of what they look like, and were they are? also, it looks like the fuse box might be in the way. not really sure tho. all help is apreciated.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

mounted mine up... but clutch bleeding is a biatch..hopefully doing that today....

hard to see but see the plated hole with 1 wire going in front of it? this cab is a 1982 and that his the hole I drilled. My hydro clutch fit beautifully.... :bow:
    [​IMG]

all is connected but have been bleeding the clutch and still not a full pedal. As soon as I let it out 1/4" it is engaged.... at least she aint slippin like before!!!!! :haha:

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah if you've got that plastic shielding, (as in the above picture) you'll have to cut it out to see the sheetmetal. I'm assuming yours has the plastic?

Even in the picture posted, you can see that potential hole locations are also "cast in", so you shouldn't have to guess where the holes need cut in the plastic either.

There have to be pictures of the clutch master mounted up, if not, I'll take one or two tonight, if they can be taken clear enough so you can tell anything.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok so I bought a 1985 GMC Jimmy fullsize for $100...
    here is the hydro stuff before I removed it....
    [​IMG]

bigger pic...
    http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/220678/original/HydroClutch.jpg

my digi broke... so cant post pics of mine mounted up on a pickup :doah:

11. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks alot everyone, that helped a tremendous amount. im goin to get started on it today.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i still cant believe you drove all the way out here to pick that stuff up. :eek1:

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I converted my auto to 465, I put the master in what I thought was the correct position. (the two dimpled areas were there in my 77 blazer) After making a bracket that connected the clutch pedal to the pushrod, I realized that I would need to figure out the perfect mounting position to push straight into the master cylinder. This will allow you a lot of leeway as far as where you mount the master to the firewall. You can get most of the adjustment at the pedal by experimenting with different mounting positions. This was one of the big ole pain in the arse kind of things for me. It took like three different brackets before i got it right. Works perfect now.

14. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

allright, i got it in, thanks for the help, im pretty confident i got it in the right spot. im going to buy a clutch this week, and put the tranny in, does anyone know if im going to need driveshafts? acually, i will need a rear, cuz the 205 is fixed yoke, but what about the front?

15. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

yeah, everyone thinks its rediculous, but i acually couldnt find anyhting out here. it was a fun drive tho, suicide shifts, 15 hours at a time. i love being on the road.