Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hydro clutch on a 68 chevy truck , will use 465/np205 with 87 hydro pedals

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chopped&bobbed77burb, Aug 21, 2006.

1. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

After some long consideration I'm yanking the 77 bub body (no more chopped&bobbed burb for me :( ) and putting a 68 truck cab on the burb frame . I've done a little searching and could not find anything on doing a hydro clutch on a 67-72 truck . I have the set up in my burb (87 pedals). Are the pedal assemblies interchangeable ? will the 87 pedals bolt in . Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction :bow: .

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Talk to 55willy, he is doing a hydro clutch in his 1st gen burb

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

is the 68 cab an auto or a manual to start with?

not sure on the pedals swapping over mine was a manual to start. I got a template from Yukon Jack that he made for his.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

oh if is a manual right now you just have to drill 3 holes.

5. chopped&bobbed77burb

the 68 is a manual 3 speed with the shifter on the column . Thanks for the help tazz & 55willy . It may be awhile before I do the swap . I wanna wheel the burb a few more times before I toss the body . I have a buddy that want's the burb body so it will live on :bow: .

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i'll send ya his template if ya want I just taped it to my firewall and drilled the new holes.?

pice of cake for ya then, no need for different pedals.

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Can you send me the template too:D

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

67-72 trucks should come with a sleeve built into the steering column. you just need to find the clutch pedal out of one of these years of trucks. It slides in and you bolt on the retaining clip thingy.
    Then you drill the hole in the firewall for the hydro clutch master cylinder, so it will line up with the pedal.
    On my k5 the clutch pedal was a bit too high for my tastes, so i cut the end of the pushrod off on the master cylinder and used a die so i could use a threaded rod end on the end of it to adjust pedal height.
    From there you just have to find the right fittings and lines, then plumb that down to a slave cylinder, i used the same one burt4x4 is which happens to be an 80 toyota slave cylinder. I just fab'd a bracket to hold my slave inline with the clutch fork. Also the early style (straight cast clutch fork) is the one i'm using because the later style (curved and stamped steel) wouldn't work for my hydro setup.
    Mine is a push style slave, and i know you can get a pull style from summit so you could mount the slave cylinder towards the back of the truck instead of next to the bellhousing like where i mounted mine.
    Of course you could always find a hydro bellhousing from a later model truck and then you wouldn't be fabbing a bracket for the slave cylinder.
    good luck. :wink1:

9. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Glad to see you are keeping that thing - and even better you are going first gen!

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The newer truck's pedals won't work but as said above, just use your existing pedals. Here is a link http://yukon.b0xen.us/hydraulicclutch.html to how I installed a 89 1 ton's hydraulic clutch setup in my 69 K20.

11. chopped&bobbed77burb

You guy's are awsome :bow: . Thanks for all the input . The 68 that I was going to get :doah: , The guy changed his mind and decided to keep it . I'm still going to do this or maybe even find a 62-63 gmc , drop it on my burb frame and tube the back . I want something alittle more vintage then my burb .